Time to buy a new HD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mac Daddy, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I own the second one on your list. Almost a year now. Not a single problem.:D

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Those should all be the faster Caviar SE16 drives. The 500 GB should perform almost as well as the 750 GB I reviewed earlier.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Definitely the 640GB. But if you don't mind waiting a little longer, the newer SE16 is announced.

5. Adrian Wong

Yeah, they have a SE16 Black that has two controller chips and 32MB of cache.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

640GB :thumb:

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

640Gb FTW :D..I own 1 of those~ Thanks to max actually.. (was a seagate fan :p)

8. Mac Daddy

Thanks for the feedback guys and on waiting I really can't for the new series. This 40G Maxtor is playing up again and theres not gonna be a video of me putting it in water there gonna be a video of me taking a sledge hammer to it :evil:

Anyway is it really cost effective to pay 20 dollars more for the 640G over the 500G ? I have had this 160G Seagate for a year and a half and never had it under 50G free. I don't leave games and stuff on after I finish them just keep the save dirs.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Worthy i guess...The price here is almost similiar i think =/

10. Adrian Wong

If I'm not mistaken, the 640GB drive's platters have a higher areal density, so it should be faster than the 500GB. Then again, if you do not need the extra space... then you might as well just save the money.

11. Mac Daddy

Actually I was wondering that for the extra 20 bucks the space and speed might be worth it :think:

The 640G drive it is :thumb:

EDIT: And I meant liquid not water lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  12. Adrian Wong

For me, it is worth it. Hehe.. because I need a LOT of storage space. :thumb:

13. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Yupe.. Adrian spill the beans .. 640GB has the highest density per platter in the market which is the 320GB/platter so there are 2 platter in there.
    There are 3 versions of these, the blue, green and black. The blue is the regular, the black is 32MB dual-processor while the green is intellipower ;)

So choose your pick but I am not sure all are in market yet..

14. Mac Daddy

THX for the info Mike and mine I picked up tonight last one in stock. Here in this small town in Ontario I have to go find new technology the GP series are in no stores here. Anyway this is what I bought installing it tonight THX for the advise guys :thumb:

Attached Files:

15. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

cool!!! So i think there is 2 people using the 640gb eh..LOL, Made in Malaysia too O.O

16. Mac Daddy

You bet bro and thanks for the advise ;)