Plasma or LCD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mikegas, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Hellooo...

Need recommendation, planning to get an LCD or plasma. Anyone know what to look for? Looking for maybe 32"-40". Saw one LG 42" RM4K+ (USD1250+) Plasma with 1080 Full HD. Really a bargain. Saw a lot of Samsung LCD, cheap but most do not have full HD(1080p). Hmm, not sure leh, what is important, 1080p important? I use my TV mostly to watch download movie and perhaps gaming. Don't even have Astro haih..

Recommend recommend ...

2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Plasma and LCD may look similar but only on the surface. Plasma uses a matrix of tiny gas plasma cells charged by precise electrical voltages to create a picture. LCDs are sandwiches made up of liquid crystal pushed in the space between two glass plates. Images are created by varying the amount electrical charge applied to the crystals.

PLASMA - better contrast, deeper black, brighter colour, better viewing angles, lifespan is somewhere between 30.000-50.000 hours or even more but all of this comes with a higher price and it consumes more power than LCDs

LCD - consumes less power, price competitive, higher native resolution than plasmas of similar size - means more pixels on a screen, easier to move, they weight usually less then plasma screens and they have a lifespan of aprox. 60.000 hours
    As for HD resolution, to sum it all up - LCD is the way to go although newer plasma screens can do 1080p but the price is still the key.

1080p - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
    2 people like this.
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are using it as a monitor, then it's wise to get Full HD. If you are using it for movies and gaming, it depends. Are you planning to buy PS3? If yes, then you might want to consider Full HD. But it's really hard to tell if the screen size is 50" and below sitting at normal viewing range. 720p may be good enough for you.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

VERY good post DarkSeed. :thumb:

I say LCD over plasma. PDPs are already becoming less and less available now. Even Pioneer has exited manufacturing. Also a detraction of plasma is it's half life. The life span is not a life span per se, it is when the image quality has degraded to half of its initial value. After that, it really goes downhill.

So save your money and go LCD. Use the rest of it to get HD content. SD will soooo look like crap after that though (fair warning).

I personally love the Sharp Aquos LCD HDTVs (they do full 1080p, have awesome colors and nice contrast - but my dad told me they are very $$$$$ in Malaysia). They are decently priced stateside (here).

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Surprisingly LG plasma 42" is on 1080p is cheaper then LCD of other brand with similar spec. LCD on 1080p is over RM5K. Mostly is jas 720p.

PS3 is sure a future thing but nothing much HD content I have now. I already have a 19" LCD for monitor which is good enough, don't think would use it much for monitor.

I heard before somewhere, that Plasma is more eyes friendly then LCD as eyes would get easily tired.

Hmm so plasma lifespan is 3 yrs plus to LCD 6yrs (assuming 24 hrs usage).

Looks like is more to LCD, now just have to find 1080p on 40" that is cheap... the shopping continues ...

ANYONE GOT EMPLOYEE PRICE? hehehehe:mrgreen:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

SD also looks like crap on my Aquos. :\

But I have plenty of HD content (I rarely even watch SDTV now).

Plasmas use a lot more power and they suffer from the burn in effects where as the LCDs are different.

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

LCD =/..+ Plasma tv are freaking sensitive to power surge 1 heard =/..LG Plasma and LCD are quite good IMO.Their lcd are mostly 720p..not sure bout their new ones :/..

8. Chai

Planning to get cheap 24" LCD. :p

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Ditto :mrgreen:

Mike I am going with LCD on this Cheers to DarKSeeD on the excellent post :thumb:

10. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

LCD is more recent technology than Plasma...

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. THey are ()*)@(#_)!@#@((@(&@&&&#&#&&&$&&!@!!!@&#&# $$$$$$$$$$ here in M'sia.

So I just got the 32" Aquos LCD (not full HD) for my in-the-process-of-getting-ready condo unit... It's not a huge living hall anyway :p

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

@chai,erm..it's cheap now at Carrefour Subang Jaya :p..1.6k for 24 inch...32 around 2k? :p

13. Chai

But I rather get 24" Full HD for just 1.3k. It works perfectly with PS3 with Full HD. :p

14. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

24" is monitor size .. get at least 32" :p

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, definitely LCD over plasma. If I do get a new HDTV, it will definitely be LCD.

As for 1080p, there's not much use for it unless you intend to hook it up to a PS3 / Blu-ray drive / HTPC. But it's a way to future-proof your purchase if you do not intend to upgrade a few years from now.

You might want to look into 100/120 Hz over the regular 50/60 Hz. For SD TV, which is what we mostly watch these days (yes, we are still THAT backward.. :wall: ), the higher refresh rate makes a BIG difference. Once you go high-freq, you will NEVER go back to the lower refresh rates. :mrgreen:

16. Chai

Nah, there's a 42" Full HD downstairs, but I just enjoy gaming in my own room. :p

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LICH! Those are not cheap! :mrgreen:

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Ok .. now at the bother line between 40" Full HD or 40" 720p. The price difference is RM800.

Is there a huge difference running PS3 on Full HD compare to the non?

Btw, 100Hz is Rm1.6k extra from the Full HD :doh:

19. Chai

If you are using the TV as a PC monitor, then I think Full HD is better. If you are only using it for movies, then maybe 720p is good enough.

20. prijikn

prijikn Newbie

Lcd is better, because it's easier to hook up to a computer.:dance: