Memory frequency

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by desdichado, Jun 28, 2008.

1. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

No effect. I have not the update 03/08/2006 but I hope that this update haven't any link with the memory. Thank you and excuse my autodidactic English.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

The last update will include all modifications included in the previous drivers as well as additional fixes sometimes not mentioned in the release. I bought this Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 in February of this year and it needed the BIOS updated by 3 versions to make my OCZ Reaper PC8500 ram work properly ;)

3. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

Thank you very much, but here I am flounded :confused: (I hope that the word and sense are correct):
    1. As long all EPOX sites are virtually inaccessible. The site of the EPOX-USA does not respond to download (at least for me). I have an older update downloaded, code 8n7i6c25 (possible from 8 March 2006 ?) but I am not sure if it is the good update file.
    2. Although I am very old, I never made a BIOS update ! The updating method about which I say, via the Internet, and which I think that it will be easier (with the EPOX Magic-BIOS) is not working. Supllementary, talking with various neighbors and friends I am got scared because all say that is dangerous to make an upgrade of the BIOS, possible can compromise the BIOS chip or the motherboard! On Google and other forums I found many alarmist messages. So, please, excuse my fear and ignorance but I have not the courage and experience; otherwise the indications of the EPOX MB manual are too summary about updating. Again thank you for advices and patience.
    3. But, it is possible that this damned chinese (or north american ?) BIOS software have a bug ? Windows has many, as an example.
    I wish you a pleasant week-end.

4. Mac Daddy

Please don't do anything you are uncomfortable with and that's odd on the BIOS update I tried the link myself and there is no prompt to download a file :think:

On bugs I am not familiar with your motherboard just what I have access to for information online. I think we have established its either a BIOS incompatibility with one of your ram sticks or the ram sticks themselves. So if we can't update the BIOS (and don't trust any files from a third party source just EPOX) we are back to what we can test. Your going to have to take that machine cover off and try one stick at a time as I suggested before. I have a sneaking suspicion and have since the beginning of this thread if you pull out that 500M stick the other will boot at 200Mhz as default. But until we try we can't be sure ...

5. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

I will follow your advice to check the two memories separately, but with a certain deferment. I will then communicate the results. Thank you for kindness.

6. desdichado

desdichado Newbie

Great success. :D After several home-made drinks with an old friend he proposed to change the CAS Latency (Tcl) from Auto to 2.5. And now POST and CPU-Z shows 200 MHz ! The 1 Gb memory has a catalog value for CAS of 3.0 (for 200 MHz) and the 0.5 Gb memory has a catalog value for CAS of 2.5 (for 200 MHz). I hope that I don't made a mistake regarding the new value for the 1 Gb stick.
    Thanks for yours suggestions and patience.

7. Mac Daddy

Great news and glad you got it solved :thumb:

Makes sense though standard CAS for DDR400(200Mhz) is 2.5 and generally DDR333(166Mhz) has a CAS of 3. So Auto forced a CAS of 3 because of that first stick and set the frequency for both to 166Mhz :think:

PPS: CAS of 2.5 on that 1G stick shouldn't hurt anything your not overclocking just watch it for stability.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's the other way. And yes, some modules might run fine at tighter timings. Some not. Test it with Memtest or Prime 95 Blend if possible.

9. Mac Daddy

Yes your right it is the other way and I know that ... sorry long day yesterday :shifty: