gpu bios modding

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by generalRage1982hrv, Jul 20, 2008.

1. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

i have just finished with playing with bios
    so guys i need to ask what gpu timings would be best for
    Gigabyte 8800GTS 320 (g80)

just checked it with vantage
    i have geted not much but higher score than regular oc
    600/1400/850 and i geted 5064 3DMarks Vantage (before 49xx to 5000)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Interesting Bro I haven't played with an 8800gts but NV cards are new to me again back in the day they didn't even have a shader clock lol.

I am going to reply on what I have found O/Cing a newer generation NV if its a waste of time so be it. ;)

Chaos has 2 Palit 8800GT's and a Galaxy version and we found the same things O/Cing as I did with this 9600. Increasing shader clock produces far more significant performance gains than the core and memory clock combined. Since the cards are completely different I can only suggest percentages and you can try applying them to see if the are effective on your card.

O/C the core/shader/mem by 11%/19%/6%

513/1188/792 ..... to 570/1414/840

Test then raise your shader clock as high as you can stable. Then the same on your mem clock. Decrease shader and mem clocks by 1% and then raise the GPU clock in small increments testing for stability.

That's the procedure I used to determine the optimal settings for this 9600GT are 720/1950/950 using the stock cooling.

EDIT: I saw this was for editing GPU timings in BIOS will leave this post for info anyway

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. This is interesting. I never thought that merely increasing the shader clock would improve its performance. :think:

4. generalRage1982hrv

it would bro maybe because this is a talk about a shader processors
    who needed some juice to work on full capacity
    if you push normal clock (outside one) you will not get anything with that maybe because internal clock (shader clock) determine how fast will operate on data and how fast will convert it to imgs -something like it

i have tryd it all and now i know what to do if i need to get better results from my gpu
    but you cant set core on 500 and shader on 2000 it wonth show much performance
    you could say that link is on 1:3 (700 core and shader 2100 and that would be best solution but on some cards can work like 1:2.4 , 1:2.6,.... and like g92 1:3.2)

5. Mac Daddy

Quoting you and also Gen's reply above and I may be wrong. Increasing the shader clock makes a significant improvement on both of our NV cards as well as the 8800GT's Chaos has.

What exactly is the shader clock? Is it more GPU dependent like the L2 cache on a CPU? If so Gen's logic is spot on !!

6. generalRage1982hrv

hey bros is it smart to put xfx 8800gts bios on gigabyte gpu??
    gpu voltage is 1.5v(added)& 1.4v(allso added) and normal gpu voltage is 1.3v
    they use same pcb so i think this would be good ?

can anyone send me a highQ pic of xfx8800 gts 320 xxx back side pcb

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  7. Mac Daddy

Not really sure on that bro :think:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You can't change the voltage via BIOS, not especially Nvidia cards.

9. generalRage1982hrv

well xfx xxx version use same pcb but it also use higher volts hmmmm i only need full detail pic of back side pcb so i can see what chips it use and 0ohm resistors layout (power lines before voltage control chip)
    so i can see what is difference

Attached Files:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

To change any voltage, it has to be via hard mod. If you don't believe you can always try. Even Nbitor allows you to 'change' voltage, but I don't think it works.

11. generalRage1982hrv

well that is why i ask for back side pcb pic
    so i can compare it
    well 8800gts g80 have 3 way power line vid 0 , 1 ,2
    and it should also have a aditional power lines (but that is a question) LOL
    anyway i know about nibitor and original bios have locked power setup