Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

wah .. old article being revived. Good debunk but some are just common sense :lol:

Of course there are more stuff. Just need to remember, hard disk is a hardware, it has nothing to do with how OS organizing the files. It will work with any OS host as long as they send the correct ATA command to the drives ;)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You would be surprised... Many of these myths are still being spouted in online discussions. I just saw a few in the last 2 weeks. :mrgreen:

BTW, if anyone has any other myths or recommendations/corrections to suggest, please let me know. Thanks! :beer:

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

An article before my time here interesting read for sure and cool on the additions :mrgreen:

4. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Newbie

I was going to say you should mention the whole thing about why a 1TB is really only 931GB. As I remember seeing customer reviews complaining about things like that. But after looking again, it seems most people get it now. So maybe it's not that big of a deal. But you still see the occasional thing like "698 GBs is below 750GBs, but thats the price w/ all drives NTFS formatting." Or "Wish there was a way to get all 750 gigs useable, but 698 gigs is still great!" And a lot of comments say the formatted capacity is 698GB. Which seems to suggest that they may think that formatting has something to do with it. Or they could understand but are just posting that so that people do go on *****ing that they didn't get all their gigabytes.

5. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, we missed the part about how storage companies count bytes differently from software companies.

As for NTFS / FAT formatting, they do take up some space for the meta files.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We have just updated the article! :wave:

This guide was written in response to the numerous fallacies about the hard disk that are still being propagated in many forum discussions. Although many articles have covered these topics, it is apparent that hard disk urban legends are still more popular than the simple truth.

So, let's get down to basics and examine some of these common fallacies or myths and debunk them!

Here's a quote from the article :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked Rev. 3.1

7. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Hmm, freezing the drive would not spoil the drive. Is the condensation after that, water forming on the surface of the media then causing particle to stick to the media which would then spoil the drive.

8. Adrian Wong

Yeah, but why would anyone freeze their hard drive? :think:

Some people claim drives that crashed would work for a while after being deep-freezed but I really don't see the logic there. :think:

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Hmm.. this is done usually in qualification. Temperature ramp. HDD spec is storage from 5C to 60C. Some of the people ramp from 0C to 50C and if ramp is too fast, condensation would happen and this would fail the HDD. This kind of qualification usually done for important application like ATM machine.

I mean, HDD still need to work at north pole right... :p

Deep-freezing would not repair anything .. :lol:

10. Adrian Wong

Exactly. Deep freezing wouldn't repair anything. I wonder... Did I add that to the guide yet? :think:

11. Mac Daddy

I don't see it in there would be a good addition ;)

The rumour though is not that it repairs the drive it changes the characteristics of the metal alloys in the platters that are damaged or unreadable. The rumour is this will allow you to access and dump the contents of a damaged drive within a short time period after removing the drive from the deep freeze.

Never tried it though the freezer is where I keep my meat before I thaw it out and cook it ... not my Puter equipment :mrgreen:

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Actually, I got a freezer experiment I am lining up to do for my own information but havent got around to do it yet. YES, it involves scarifying an innocent good drive.

13. Mac Daddy

Cool keep us posted Mike :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

Seriously?? Can you write up an article for Tech ARP???? :twisted:

15. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Err hmm .. my testing method is not the norm benchmark but is more to detect any hard defect form after the experiment..

16. Mac Daddy

Destructive and non-destructive testing are widely used ... I wonder what are you doing to it :think:

17. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

It wasn't until this article that I could convince my friend that verticle mounting of hard drives is OK (he wouldn't believe me).

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

DESTRUCTIVE.. going to peel off the kidney sticker and feed in some smoke. Then see what the drive logs. What kind of failure seen, how it try to heal/repair the problem.. u know elementary stuff like tat .. :lol:

:lol: ancient hard drive might not be able to be verticle mount but magnet nowadays (voice coil) is so strong won't be affected by gravity. If you happen to have a bad drive, open it up, then take out the 2 piece of magnet, put them back together, is quiet hard to take them apart again using bare hand.

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked Rev. 3.2

We have just updated the article! :wave:

This guide was written in response to the numerous fallacies about the hard disk that are still being propagated in many forum discussions. Although many articles have covered these topics, it is apparent that hard disk urban legends are still more popular than the simple truth.

So, let's get down to basics and examine some of these common fallacies or myths and debunk them!

Here's a quote from the article :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Hard Disk Drive Myths Debunked Rev. 3.2

20. ElBeano

ElBeano Newbie

Edit: I know I am resurrecting this post from the dead a bit, but I just saw this article linked to off of a website I frequent and had something to add.

Great article, but I'd like to add a little note here as well to help out...

The "myth" about freezing a hard drive isn't really a myth at all... I've personally had it work for me before and can point you to other articles and personal stories stating the same thing. Why it works I can't exactly say myself, other than re-iterating some of the other reasons I've read that have made sense.

It's not a cure-all by any means (in fact, it's a low success rate, last resort trick), and based on what you posted, it probably isn't good for newer generations of hard drives either... but it definitely can work, and it is worth a try if you aren't planning on paying a professional to recover the data and are about the chuck the drive anyways. Just throw it in a zip-lock bag and leave it in the freezer for a while, remove the drive and attach it to an external enclosure, and cross your fingers!

Here is a sample article sharing a success story:
    geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html