Coolermaster Hyper 212 or Hyper Z600?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Unixlord, Jul 28, 2008.

?

Which Coolermaster CPU heatsink?

1. Hyper Z600

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hyper 212

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I'm changing to the Intel platform this summer. I'm getting a Gigabyte X38/X48 DQ6 (By circumstance rather than choice), with a (recently dropped in price) Q6600 and any OC friendly ram I can get my hands on.

As far as aftermarket cooling is concerned, my options are limited to the Coolermaster Hyper 212 or the Hyper Z600. Yep, I can't buy a zalman 9700 or a tuniq tower or a thermalright ultra extreme, not due to price but because of availability/shipping issues.

I've read the excellent TechARP review for the 212 and it does look pretty impressive. I like the fact that it also directs airflow over the motherboard components (which would otherwise be receiving poor direct airflow). The Z600 apparently performs even better, being able to add two 120mm fans is also great but the weight of over 1KG concerns me (depsite the use of a backplate) a bit.

I'd like some opinions about the pros and cons of each heatsink and coolermaster heatsinks in general as I've never owned one. Thanks.:twisted:

2. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

i never seen this day coming LOL (unix going for intel)
    anyway coolers looks great but why q6600 ??
    well i would rather take q9300(less cache but faster) or q9450 more cache and more performance over q6600 and you just cant oc it that much
    well bro i would not take that one if you ask me

3. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

The CPU is not that important. I've got a deal with it that makes it nearly half the price of the Q9300 in local shops. In fact even the E8200 is priced higher. It doesn't matter. What matters is the compatibility of those coolermaster coolers with the gigabyte motherboards. Unlike zalman, coolermaster doesn't have a motherboard compatilibty list on their website so I've had to email them, no answer so far.

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I installed a Coolermaster Hyper212 on a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 for this review Bro with few issues <<Here>>

The only issues I experienced were with the "Crazy Cooler" for the Northbridge on that board. Gigabyte includes instructions to completely remove it which I didn't want to do, underside cooling is SO important on motherboards. What I did is made a few simple modifications to the heatsink itself which I will document as a revision on that article soon ;)

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong but the underside cooling from the CPU looks like it's seperate from the NB and SB underside cooler parts. I'm looking at this image.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any clearance issues on the top side. Since both coolers require a backplate I used the compatibility list of one of noctua's fans (that required a backplate) as a reference to spot obstacles while I wait for CM's reply.

Had any other issues with your x38-DQ6 worthy of note?

6. Mac Daddy

Yes as I mentioned the bottom cooler can be removed if you wish. I used the Gigabyte cooler itself instead of the supplied bracket as well as a modified plate. The supplied backplate isn't aluminum or copper its steel. It's your preference ;)

On the X38-DQ6 no real issues just make sure you update your BIOS it includes some memory and voltage options that weren't on the F6 BIOS my board came with. I had no clearance issues with anything on that mobo.

7. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Thanks for the info mate. I'm actually looking at Asus' offerings too since they feature smaller backplates that don't hinder aftermarket coolers.

8. generalRage1982hrv

well asus mbos like any x38mbos have issues with large coolers
    mostly because of heat pipes that goes around cpu they are just too close(6-10mm from zalman 9500) and those two coolers are larger so there will be problems bro
    i dont know how high is that cooler but if it is wider than 96mm it will make problems trust me :doh:
    i have P5E and all other asus mbos are similar to it :nuts:
    i would recommend sonic tower maybe because he is 20mm higher (from cpu to fins there is space for 20mm and that would be enough to avoid mbos heatpipes)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Those 2 coolers are my only options. Do you think the 1KG+ weight has the potential to cause any problems? Btw the backplate has plastic on it to prevent short circuiting the MB.

10. generalRage1982hrv

ok bro
    have fun :beer: , then i hope you will put some extra support on your mbo and case (that cooler wonth bend your mbo)

11. Mac Daddy

The Katana2 and Hyper212 from my experience on this X38 board have no clearance issues with the heatpipes or coolers for the chipset.

The backing plate for the Hyper212 also has a plastic spacer between the mobo and the plate if it is used. On the weight it depends how evenly the weight is distributed and also making sure you use ALL the standoffs and machine bolts to secure the mobo to the case.

12. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

So far coolermaster has failed to reply. Not to rant but why haven't coolermaster got a motherboard compatibility list like zalman, notcua, thermalright and just about EVERYONE else? If they do have one I for one can't find it. In fact they don't just list compatibility, they give details too and that's for all Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc motherboards.

Look: Thermalright

and: Noctua

Zalman does it too...

OK now I'm set on the hyper 212 because:
    1)It weighs 300g less
    2)Performance is very close to Z600
    3)It includes one 120mm blue LED fan (The Z600 doesn't include any fans)
    4)Mac daddy has it

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  13. Mac Daddy

I agree they should as well Bro on the compatibility list. But if it works on the X38-DQ6 can't really see any issues on boards using similar cooling solutions from other companies.

On Coolermaster forward me your email to them and I will resend it myself with a link to my article using my techARP email account. I had good success contacting Auzentech for 1031982 on this thread perhaps I can help you as well Bro :D

http://forums.techarp.com/general-hardware/24338-advise-sound-cards-5.html

14. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Unforunately I used their support form and not a direct email, but they are supposed to reply by the supplied email. Maybe it works on the X38-DS4 without ANY modifications?

15. Mac Daddy

Not really sure :think:

On the email send me more or less what you sent them and I will email them directly ;)

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I'm in a bit of a jam myself. My initial question was which cooler to pick (hyper 212 or z600), but now I'm absolutely sure I want the hyper 212 but I'm no longer interested in getting the x38-dq6 (due to crazy cool). I need to know which other good quality X38 boards can accept the hyper 212 with no issues.

17. Mac Daddy

There are no issues with the X38-DQ6 you just remove the crazy cooler as shown in the manual. Reason I didn't is because I thought it was gay to remove a quality copper underside mobo cooler to install some POS steel alloy bottom plate supplied with the Hyper212 .. so I improvised :mrgreen:

18. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

The thing is, it's supposed to have the capability to screw the NB crazy cooler back on again but some have claimed that the screws aren't supplied, was this the case with yours? Can you verify the NB CC getting reattached once the underside of the cpu is cleared?

Might be getting P5Q Deluxe or EP45-DQ6 since I'm no CF fan.

19. Mac Daddy

I didn't have to remove the NB CC ... on the other boards will check with them for you remind me if I forget .. been a long 6 days offline ;)

20. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

To cut a long story about overpriced p45 boards, unavailability and greedy dealers short I am actually sitting with an Asus Rampage Formula in my hands. The hyper 212 is having delivery issues so I haven't received it yet.