Wolfdale overclocking thread!

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Max_87, May 3, 2008.

1. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hey Unix if you are afraid that your cooler would not be able to cool ddr and cpu
    get something like this

Attached Files:

2. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Are you using those in your rig? I've got a 60mm fan which I took from an AMD hsf which I'm going to use to blow across the NB (X48/X38 are known to get toasty).

3. generalRage1982hrv

nah i use reaper piped heatsink
    there is few ways to cool chipset
    get your self two 40mm fans from some old gpu or buy
    complete fans (i think normal price all over world is around 1.5$) and put it not directly on chipset
    they are low speed fans but you will not hear any sound from them LOL

4. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Got any photos of that particular fan setup?

5. generalRage1982hrv

nop sorry
    my web cam is for shit and my camer was on a swim last summer (my son tryd to learn camera to swim LOL)
    and your mbo haves larg pipelines and coolers on so you will only make bullshit ading fans on it

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Please keep to topic guys.

7. generalRage1982hrv

well it is all about technical stuff for overclocking of his cpu
    why would not us help him to set up hardware to support best overclocking
    how i see everything is related with overclocking of 8400/8500
    you cant get high oc on mbo like x38/x48 mostly because of overheating problems on that mbos
    and if ddr is making problems there is hundred ways to override that problem
    if he ask what is best way to setup his board including his ddr for highest clock
    i dont see any problem (maybe our last two posts "when he ask for pic")

anyway sorry for offtopic

8. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Apologies for drifting off topic.
    My E8400 is the C0 stepping so I won't have to borrow/buy an extra cpu to just flash my bios for E0 wolfdale support. I'm not really interested in trying for a 1:1 ram fsb ratio so I'll try to keep the ram as close to stock speeds as possible and just maybe let the clock rise a little or tighten the timings.

9. generalRage1982hrv

just set it up same as cpu when you get fsb to 400 (ddr800)
    it would have same bandwith but it will have lower latency

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's E0 revision already?

11. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

E8600 is E0. For E8400/E8500, not yet, at least I haven't seen any so far.

From what I observe, E0 is about ~200MHz better than C0 on average when it comes to overclocking. The upcoming revision E0 E8400 might not overclock as good, most better chips will be going to E8600.

12. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

You can check Asus or Gigabyte's cpu compatilibty list or Intel's cpu list. E0 Stepping exists for E8400, E8500 and E8600. Every board I've seen requires a bios update from it's initial bios for these E0 cpus.

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

No clearance issues with the Reaper ram here use slots 2 and 4 ;)

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Actually the P5K Premium board was eating my reapers.

Now on 2 2gb sticks so we'll see.... :beer:

D9s on my older reapers seem to die a lot anyways. New sticks run lower voltage too (Andy @ OCZ was a big help with my reapers but he did say the sweet spot for voltage was ~2.2v for my old reapers with looser timings of 5-5-5-18 - but new set is running ~2.1v with those timings - wonder what chips they are using).

And there is an upcoming E0 for the E8400. Mine isn't though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  15. Mac Daddy

Which style of heatspreader are on the 2 x 2G you are using? I know you had some issues with the 1 x 1G sticks on that mobo hope its sorted for ya :D

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Well finished installing and had to use the stock intel E8400 cooler for now (gulp). That is not an experience I'd like to repeat. Realtemp shows idle temp of 38c yukh. For my 5000+ Black Edition (also a 65w cpu) @ 3.1Ghz idled at 26-28c with a zalman 9500. Anyway it seems I have a VID of 1.2250 which is not as good as I had hoped. I'll be back to post some screenies.

17. generalRage1982hrv

strange unix
    but that is not that much high by 0.1v higher than my

18. Mac Daddy

I idle at 22-24C on my [email protected] and I think my idle temps were lower than yours using the stock cooler :think:

It didn't work half bad just soooooo noisy :shock:

Anyway I will send an email off to Coolermaster for you in the Morrow ;)

19. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Just wait till I get my hyper 212 :D...
    Well as you already know core temp sensors are not designed for measuring idle temps and hardly ever accurately do, they're just designed to to trigger throttling reliably. To make matters worse nobody knows the real tjmax, and intel doesn't release them. I feel I can trust realtemp.

Anyway considering the ambient temp is quite higher than 22c and it's a stock celeron cooler with stock paste at best I really shouldn't be complaining about idle temps. It's half the size of a 65nm core2 cooler with a aluminum base, no copper and no heatsinks and three strips of god knows what preapplied tim.

Hmmm it seems I idle at 38c core (34c cpu) whether speedstep is enabled (2GHz + lowered voltage) or disable (default 3GHz). Asus fan control is disabled... /scratches head
    Full loads creep up to around 48c but fall back to 38c pretty quickly once load is removed. Maybe if I used arctic cooling mx2 instead of the stock paste I'd be able to get that down. My idle temps are exactly the same as some E4500s (2.2GHz) with speedstep enabled running with the stock coolers in the same ambient environment in less ventilated cases.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  20. generalRage1982hrv

that temps are strange unix