NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

We first covered the launch of the new NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ on June 20, 2008. Launched right after the GT 200 series of graphics cards, the GeForce 9800 GTX+ is die-shrinked version of the venerable NVIDIA G92 GPU, used in cards like the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and the GeForce 8800 GT.

Thanks to the die-shrink from 65 nm to 55 nm, NVIDIA was able to further boost the core and shader clock speeds of the GPU by 9.3%. Everything else was unchanged, including the memory clock which remained at 1.1 GHz. Hence, NVIDIA called it the GeForce 9800 GTX+ (Plus), instead of the GeForce 9900 GTX.

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Review

2. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

#1 review
    great job adrian

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Nice review Adrian and not rushing out to buy one but good ideas on shrinking the die size :D

4. Adrian Wong

Just posted the full review! :thumb:

5. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Good job.:clap:
    It's much more clear if each chart is either one resolution with each card or one card on each resolution. While you did add % comparison at the end I still think those charts would look and function better if they were divided up.

6. Adrian Wong

Actually, that was what we did in the past. But I decided to combine them in a single chart so that we can see how one card running at a certain resolution compares with another card running at a different resolution.

7. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I see now. How about the combined chart on a separate page?

8. Adrian Wong

Well, maybe we should do a poll on this, cause some people may complain that there are too many charts of the same data. :think:

9. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

OK if I had to pick then I'd rather have the classical fps charts by resolution instead of % charts or combo charts. Else there's no harm in an extra page to reflect the data in a broader manner.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I did complain to you before. :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

LOL! Trust me, it's not easy doing all those charts. I would prefer to stick with one and not a whole bunch! :D

Okay, let's just get a poll up and see what everyone prefers. :thumb:

12. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Speaking of polls wouldn't it be great if there was a separate sub-forum for official polls?

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Now is that something we should also take a poll on? LOL!! :haha: :haha:

Okay, okay, seriously, that's something to think about, isn't it? Should we do it... and where should we place it? :think:

14. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

/sarcasm on
    First a poll on whether or not there should be a poll section. (which should be rigged to result in favor of 'yes')
    Then we do a poll on where this poll section should be located in the forums and the front page. (needless to say, rigged)
    Finally a new poll will be be added to this section about charts being respresented properly. (and again ...)

/sarcasm off

A much simpler and easier thing to do (What I would do):

1) One benchmark per page, two charts per benchmark, one chart for no AA/AF and one for a moderate amount of AA/AF.

2) Numer of rows equal to gpus being benched.

3) Each resolution gets a differently colored bar (red, yellow, green etc)
    and is displayed in front of the respective gpu.

4A) Finally the page painfully labled "How Much Faster / Slower Is..." shall be renamed to something like "Relative Performance"+-percentage in a seperate page at the end.

4B) Or it (the average) is merged with the main charts as a grey bar with the card being review as 100% and all the other rows show percentage of relative performance like 110%, 76% etc.

Problem solved: No mess of extra charts, broad and detailed display of data, easier to read and understand. You should let me do this.

15. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Just in case you didn't get it, that was a joke. :haha: :mrgreen:

Seriously, it's a good idea. Otherwise, people don't seem to be participating in the polls. They just keep getting pushed down.

Hmm... Think you can come up with examples of how you think it should be done? I will also try them on my end. Going to do an update of the GeForce 9800 GTX+ review later. :think:

16. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

If I hadn't realized it was a joke I would have used '/sarcasm' :mrgreen: . Seems like my humor isn't translating back so well.

Of course it's a good idea. If it wasn't I wouldn't suggest it! :dance:

17. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Sorry, lack of sleep over here. :haha: :haha:

18. Adrian Wong

19. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Now that's more like it! :thumb:
    Although I'm not sure about the card in review getting special non-legend colors for it's bars. Maybe there are other ways of drawing attention to the fact that card X is the one being reviewed?
    PS: Do I get reputation for whining for/suggesting this change :D?

2 people like this.
  20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Hee hee ya got my vote Bro + Rep and good stuff :thumb: