What PSU wattage is sufficient?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by chingster, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Like any other PC component, it's very difficult to future proof.

2. chingster

chingster Newbie

If the PCP&P 610W and Corsair TX650W both have the 6 and 8 pin connectors and are the same price ($109 CAD), it would make sense to go with the corsair one right? Or is the arhictecture/other features/specs of the PCP&P 610W worth the 40 watts less?

I feel like I am overthinking the topic, but I am really intrigued and would love to learn anything I can about PSU's.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  3. Chai

4. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

PCP&C 610 is extremely quiet. Intel, nvidia and AMD all use PCP&C power supplies for all of their public demo rigs. Nuff said.

5. Chai

Well, being a sponsor doesn't mean they are great. Coolermaster also sponsor the Stacker 830 series, doesn't mean they are great.

Neither do I meant that PCP&C is crap, it's just that they are not tested by SPCR, which are some of the craziest quiet computing freaks online.

If I'm not mistaken, PCP&C is also made by Seasonic, which is the same as Corsair. But the fan choices are up to them to decide. Since SPCR doesn't review any of their recent products, and I do not have experience with them, I wouldn't know. What may seem to be quiet to you, might not defined as quiet to SPCR folks.

Last time, I thought my Antec TP2 480W was quiet, until recently, I found out that it was one of the noisiest component in my PC after I silent my WD740 using foam. Noise is subjective. I will be doing a fan swap on my Antec as soon as I can locate a quiet 120mm fan undervolted.

Edit: Sorry, only the PCP&C Silencer series are made by Seasonic.

6. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

I thought coolermaster manufactured the stacker 830. They'd be promoting their own product, not sponsoring it. On a side note it's a great case too.

7. Chai

Sponsoring = promoting.

8. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Yeah well all companies promote their own products. It is however much more significant when AMD/ATI+Nvidia+Intel (the big three) are all but recommending a product (btw AFAIK they used the turbocool series not the silencer series but still).

9. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

being a silence freak myself, i do agree with you with SPCR - that's THE place I go when I want something silent.

i can't tolerate whirring fans. I used to but now after tasting silence, i prefer it that way. which is why i have fan controllers on my main rigs and i run fanless for my processor. :D

10. Chai

For me, it's not just about whirring fan anymore. Fan ticking noise annoys me as well. I try to run them at 5V, I can't even here the airflow noise by putting my ear next to it, but when I hear fan ticking noise, I throw it into the bin! LMAO!

I'm going to mod my PSU fan to a quiet fan, I run all my quiet fans at 5V-7V, some of them dun even spin at 5V! :haha: It's really fun trying to make your system quiet.

11. goldfries

Chai getting deaf ah? :p

anyway - the 2 rigs at my feet are damn silent. :D OCZ PSU and Gigabyte ODIN PSU and all running 120mm fan.

my other 2 rigs which are further away are noisy - not the PSU, not the heatsink but rather those 9800GT units. damn...... what to do, running folding@home GPU.

the controllers refuse to maintain fan speed at what I intend.

12. Chai

Deaf? More like the other way. My system has to be noiseless from 5cm away from the noise maker (fans, water pumps, PSU, graphics card, PWM, hard disk, casing vibration, etc). If I'm sitting next to it and I know it's turned on without looking at the monitor, mission failed. :p

13. goldfries

yeah. silence is fun!

just like my rig last time,I couldn't know whether it's ON unless i really come near it. nowadays, it's just the lights being indicator.

eh we should start a thread on silent PC.

14. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Single rails are better because you don't have to manage your power usage over 2 lines. Plus components can make full use of the amps available because if you had 2 30A rails and the first one needs more than 30A it can't take it from the second rail, in most cases the PSU would then shutdown.

15. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Ya silence is nice... but if you dont want to crap your 4850 you need to put the fan minimum at 60%... for it stays at 42 Celcius rofl. If the fan is less than that... you get really high temps.

16. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

mine is on 45% and it the temp os around..lets see..49-52c (idle)

17. goldfries

yeah i tried. 60% is acceptable to me. :) you could be lowered (referring to reference heatsink).

on the other hand, there's always 3rd party / custom cooler.

18. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

noisy for me :(..maybe it's due to my side panel? Mine has those tiny little holes..Mesh i think thats whats it's call :/...

19. goldfries

eh. my whole casing front is mesh. with so many holes around for fan.

20. Chai

LOL! If you call that noisy, I don't think you can take the D12-SH noise at full speed.