Samsung in disguise ...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mikegas, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

They just want to race to the top to announce latest biggest cap external that they have. Just plain ignorant imo as they thought users would not be so smart to crack open up the case.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most wouldn't, since it will void warranty. :p

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, with SSD coming up fast, the days of external 2.5" HDD are numbered

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I doubt it. I still think HDD can scale faster than SSD. It will take considerable advances in SDD cost and capacity to catch up with the HDD.

5. Chai

Not within a year or 2 IMO. I personally feel that reliability is a problem for SSD more than HDD, despite being mechanical.

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah, definitely not so soon.

Reliability? Well, the SSDs do not need to worry about damage from vibration or shock. Their lifespan is also improving. I think it's about 1,000,000 write cycles now, if not more.

Even if you rewrite a cell 1000 times a day, that will still give you about 1000 days (just over 2.5 years) of use before it's supposed to fail. The SSD have spare cells to replace dead ones... and write-levelling algorithms to further extend their lifespan.

7. Chai

Have you read about tons of complains on dead SSD drives? It's just like saying Electric car should last longer than because there's no moving parts.

It's more than that. HDD has been around for many many years. I've seen a thumbdrive died without warning. SSD? No thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

What about hybrid HDD ? Those HDD with flash memory, for hibernation purposes?

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

no moving parts. but we fear static & overvolts .. lol

10. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

Hah, since when does Seagate sell external drives with Samsung inside :lol: I guess I would demand it be exchanged when they release their own 500gb 2.5" drives.

11. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

These are for Vista quicker boot. There are some thumb drives which are able to serve this function as well.

Most HDD manufacturer do not believe on hybrid HDD as there boot are not significant enough to be implemented the extra cost to satisfy a few plus it would be better to put the SDD on mobo instead of the HDD.

12. Chai

I hardly need to boot up PC. Plus there's always hibernation or standby mode. :mrgreen:

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, sudden death is possible, but I have never had a flash drive die on me yet. In fact, I still have an old 256MB flash drive that's still working! :D

In any case, I don't see SSDs overtaking HDDs anytime soon. For me, I would only go for SSDs in situations where I would be subjecting the storage medium to lots of shocks and vibration.

14. Chai

I will only use SSD as flash drives, no important datas on it.

A 256MB thumb drive died on me.

15. Adrian Wong

Eh that must be a pretty old one. At least, mine was. It's been a long time since they sold those smaller flash drives.

16. Chai

It's about 3 years old at most. But most of my HDD last longer than that.

17. Adrian Wong

Yeah, hard drives are really reliable these days.

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Yea .. i got lots of thumb flash and occasionally need to be reformatted due to corruption ... but again .. no important data inside .. :lol:
    Hard drive is the way to go .. you want safer.. back it up with another hard drive, you wont be so unlucky to have two drives fail at the same time ..

19. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I use my thumbdrive for my backup :faint:
    got one fried on the past, playing with current :\

20. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

it depend on your cooling in the chassis. if your hard drive always run at 40+ above everyday i dont think the hard drive could last that long. i think the china made hard drive sure got a lot of problem.

luckily i get mine WD made from malaysia, almost three years now storing my data and keep it cool always.