RAM for your gaming pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Qing, Aug 15, 2008.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

My RAM usage is always above 50%, so that's around 1GB + as well

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I just installed Vista on a P4EE PC with 1GB of RAM. Surprisingly fast after upgrading to SP1. :thumb:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe because you are not doing anything. :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

LOL!! Not yet. Still installing stuff on it. Will report back when I start using it to do stuff. :haha:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You will probably start complaining once you start some photoshop on it. Wait... maybe you don't even need photoshop :haha:

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I actually installed Vista SP1 on my Sempron with 512MB RAM

The CPU usage and RAM meter are always almost maxing out lolz

7. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

I don't have much of a problem optimizing vista.. and I am a pretty heavy gamer..

This is what my comp env looks like when I prep it for gaming...
    Keep in mind, anywhere from 128-310mb of hardware ram is being reserved for my onboard Geforce 7150m

[​IMG]

Vista will also stuff itself into pagefile when more hard-ram is needed by the system.. making starting shell stuff slow but at least that means I can have vista use only 64mb of hard-ram and have the rest for gaming!

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, just thought of getting Sandisk Cruzer for Vista Ready Boost on my sempy, see got any improvement anot

9. Adrian Wong

Do let us know. I seriously doubt ReadyBoost will really do much, especially if you already have 2GB or more memory.

10. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

I disabled ready boost and unload the service.. it takes up cpu cycles and on modern hard-drives it just doesn't give much benefit.

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It's for my Sempy - Sempron with 768 DDR RAM, damn laggy lol, not to mention it's used with 7300GS with Turbo Cache

I guess there would be improvements.

Btw, I doubt there would be improvement on my C2D rig (2GB RAM)

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

well, it does help on system with less than 1gb of ram but hey,rams are pretty cheap these days.wait, your using DDR1? Easy to get but costly

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Oh, if that's what you have, you will definitely see some improvements :mrgreen:

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Nah no point, with the amount of people buying new PC, I can easily ask them for their old DDR lol

15. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

cool,just ask them to give it to you...

16. almas

almas Newbie

:) thank you. i'm newbie in here.