ATI RADEON 9800 BIOS MOD (fatal outcome)

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Atomic, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Atomic

Atomic Newbie

I followed the ati radeon 9800 pro TO fireglx tut.
    and i flash my card into "AtiFireGLX1-128.bin" BIOS (i got from here) and it went good. So i restarted my pc and now my screen remained black, the card didn't work anymore.
    So i tried to reflash my card with the original bios (blindly because the screen remains black :( ) but it won't flash back to my original BIOS. PLEASE HELP
    I also tried plugin my card into another pc with an onboard video card, so i could startup from that card and then flash my ati card. But when my ati is plugged into that other pc the screen stays black also (while my screen is plugged in my onboard card and i set in the bios, that my default card should be that onboard card) but i still won't start!!!!

What should i do?? my ati card is useless now!
    Can i reset my ati card back to default bios in an other way?
    please help me i don't know what else to do :cry:

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, most likely your card died...Let me ask Max if it's still can be saved or not.

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The onboard GPU is using the AGP bus I think. You can't have two GPUs connected to the AGP bus.

Get a PCI display card and give it another try. Set the PCI display card as default, plug in your 9800 and flash back the original BIOS. That should solve the problem.

PS. I'm really surprised that there are still people doing this mod.

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

cool, the great gpu guru has answer your question :p

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can also go into the BIOS and set the onboard GPU as the default graphics card so it boots up using the onboard GPU. Then flash the Radeon 9800 BIOS back into the card.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I don't think it works if the onboard GPU is using the AGP bus. This is probably why he is getting black screen with the Radeon 9800 plugged in (onboard GPU is already set to default).

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think you should read Max_87's post. :p

8. Adrian Wong

Oh crap, I forgot! AGP bus! :wall: :wall:

Yeah, you will need a PCI graphics card. :doh:

9. Atomic

Atomic Newbie

Yehaa! It's fixed :thumb:
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. I got hold of an PCI-card and i reflashed my card that way. :D

greetz Atomic ;)

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Glad that you fixed your card :thumb:

11. Adrian Wong

Congratulations, Atomic! :thumb: