Lx3 vs D-Lux4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ianho, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ianho

ianho Newbie

Lx3 vs DLux4

Agonizing about which 1 to buy? I too was in the same dilemma. So here's my solution. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

I bought the LX3 in Shanghai a few weeks ago while I was there on vacation. I actually brought my EOS40D along to Shanghai. However, I was travelling with my wife n 3 kids. It's pretty difficult to travel with wife n kids with a big ol SLR around your neck. Sooooooo I proceeded to find a Leica dealer in Shanghai. Couldn't find 1 initially so I bought the LX3 which is readily available at most electronics shops. Absolutely loved the LX3. So I made up my mind that when I do find a Leica dealer, I will buy the D-Lux 4 too. As it turns out I bought the DL4 only after returning home to Malaysia. I've had the DL4 for a week and finally did the comparison shots with no tweaks, same settings on both cameras. I'll just post the link here as it's gonna take a while to repaste all the img codes as my posting is already done in HTML code. LX3 vs D-Lux 4 comparison.

I will post up some 100% crops later on. I cant access my Photobucket at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Cool...but the thing is, it's like what you mention, can't really see the difference between those 2 models :D (Feel like getting a DSLR soon T.T)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Can't tell the difference in such small pictures.

4. ianho

ianho Newbie

Yup. The smal lil red dot is very noticeable though. :mrgreen:

5. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Damn a red Dot :shock: :shock: :shock:

But I would rather get the LX-3 thought, couldn't justify the premium.

6. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

I like the minimalistic design, they both kinda look old school.

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

the design of it really amaze me...hehe...(and also the picture quality) btw for those camera, they are not consider as digital camera? (something close to DSLR?)

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

really can't see the difference other than some is darker :faint:

9. Chai

This is a digital camera, no viewfinder, no mirror, no interchangable lens.

10. ianho

ianho Newbie

It's the kinda serious compact cam that a lot of DSLR users r starting to buy as a pocket cam to complement the SLR. I absolutely love them. I was also considering the Canon G10 but it wasnt wide enuf, was very big n heavy, also horrible NR. I also tried the Sigma DP1 but the lens is waaaaaaaaaay weird at 28mm and slow too at f4. I so wanted the DP1 but cant live with it.

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ooh, cool...considering getting a camera but just can't decided whether to get a DSLR or not :haha: Btw loved your blog, sir :D

12. ianho

ianho Newbie

Well, if ur not the kind who likes to carry a big heavy buffalo around, I strongly suggest not buying the SLR. I love my SLRs but definitely not sumthin I like to carry while on vacation. So from now onwards, I will take the SLR n a compact on vacations. Glad u liked the blog, more stories about my Shanghai trip coming up. Lotsa interesting pics from the hardcore poor neighbourhood of Shanghai too.

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

(ooh, i do carry a huge backpack around atm :haha: )Still considering though...

14. Chai

I don't mind carrying tons of camera gears for vacation. In fact, I even brought 80-200 f2.8, a 3kg tripod. :haha:

Sigma DP1 is really one of its kind, APS-C sensor with fixed lens. 28mm is a bit too long though.

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

Try lugging that stuff around with wife n 3 kids from morning to evening. Sure to give backache n headache. :lol:

16. Chai

So you need to work out more! :haha:

But I did learn my lesson, since I hardly travel to know what I need and what I don't need. :haha:

17. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

ian power leh that blog entry got 18 comments! :D

since you're not gonna be using both, can pass cincai 1 to me ah? :D

18. ianho

ianho Newbie

eh, I use the DL4 in right hand n LX3 in left hand. The name's quick draw mcgraw. :lol:

19. Chai

Can you show me how do you press the shutter with just left hand only? :p

20. ianho

ianho Newbie

Ok guys, I finally found the time to post up Part 2 of the DL4 vs LX3 comparison pics. All shot in JPEG with no tweaks.
    See it here- Life is Good!: LX3 vs DLux4 Part 2