Looking for cameras? Post all questions here!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dashken, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

for now, stock lens...:D...Later on only start changing lens, i saw D60 around my college for 2299, have not ask the price for @200 yet :/

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You gotta think beyond the stock lens. :D

Nikon's great for its wide range of old and new lenses, practically all of which can be used. But you will need to get at least the D70, if you wanna use more than just DX-type lenses.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Dx type? Hmm, what are those lens? now there is another 2 in my mind...since i found out that Sony's body is not that solid compare to Nikon. Canon (traitor :haha:) 1000D? how about this?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Seriously, if you ask us about camera body, it's not really important. They are about the same.

5. Adrian Wong

IMHO, don't worry so much about the body. What's really important in DSLR is actually the lens. Digital bodies are continuously being improved but really good lens remain so, no matter what body you pair them with.

But I do think that the body is also important in a certain sense. You must like the feel of the body. Some people prefer Nikon bodies because they are more intuitive to first-timers. Canon users will, of course, deny this. Hehehe.. :mrgreen:

6. Chai

For me it doesn't matter. DSLRs are not easy to use, whether it's Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus. It's a steep learning curve for a noob.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

lens more important :p kit lens is like using a standard point & shoot with 3x zoom .. LOL and u cant focus as close as point & shoot.

8. Adrian Wong

That depends on the kit lens, but they are generally starter lens. Just to get new uses running from the start. That's why semi-pro and pro camera bodies do not have any kit lens. They are already expected to already have a bunch of lenses.

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Glass, glass, glass....... :wave:

No matter which body you choose it will be outdated in a matter of 3 years or so. As the general opining goes, invest in the lenses... they will last through many bodies. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  10. Adrian Wong

EXACTLY! Ahhh.. You summarized what I wanted to say in so few words! +rep! :thumb: :thumb: :mrgreen:

11. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

oh but not all camera body can fit some lens..
    for example if u get a D40, not all the lens are available. Am i right?

By the way, what is a VR lens?

12. Chai

It will fit, but it doesn't support all features. From D70 onwards, no such problems.

13. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

Chai, u sure a big fan of D70.

14. Chai

Big fan of D70? Not really. I actually hated its auto focus system, that I 'downgraded' to D2H after 1.5 years of using it.

D70 is my backup camera now. :haha: I actually brought the D70 to Krabi few months ago, knowing the risk of dropping it into the ocean and I wouldn't mind that much! :haha:

It's a fact that from D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D700, D1, D2, D3 support all AF lenses, not because I'm a big fan of D70. :p

And only from D200, D300, D700, D1, D2, D3 supports metering on MF lenses.

15. Adrian Wong

VR is short for Vibration Reduction. It reduces the effect of vibration (e.g. hand shakiness) in Nikon lenses. Canon have their own version - IS (Image Stabilization).

16. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

Oic..thanks. Coz i was thinking of getting a NIkon 18 - 55mm VR lens :) for my D40.

thanks

17. Adrian Wong

New or second-hand?

If it's a second hand lens, be sure to check for defects. This guide should help you - Tech ARP - Used Lens Buying Guide Rev. 3.0

18. Crazy_BB

Crazy_BB Newbie

I plan to get a second hand one :p . Thanks for the guide :)

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

meh,considering a D60 atm..might go to shops to test it out..any shops to recommend? are those shop at Lowyat Plaza(those at 2nd floor)can be trusted?(seem to be selling dslr at quite reasonable price imo, D60 for 1799 or 1599 [the price seem to be replaced by 1799..not sure..])

20. Adrian Wong

Low Yat Plaza selling cheap cameras? From my experience, no.

So far the cheapest cameras are up north, in Penang's Komtar. Here in KL, try the shops in Sungei Wang Plaza.