ADSL modem firmware flash

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by almas, Nov 25, 2008.

1. almas

almas Newbie

How can I flash my Spansion S25FL016A 16pin (FL016AIF) ROM
    I saw there http://text.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18631542

SmartAX MT800 with Atmel AT45DB161B FLASH Chip flashed with LPT1 port.
    But my MT800 modem including spansion FL016AIF ROM chip.
    Please help me.:roll:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

almas, the model of the flash chip is not really important.

What's important is that the flash chip must have sufficient capacity for the firmware. What's even more important is to make sure you are flashing it with the CORRECT firmware for your modem model.

If you are not sure, do NOT try to upgrade the modem's firmware.

3. almas

almas Newbie

thank you for your reply. its not about upgrade. I killed my modem and I want to flash its old firmware put back. And my question is how can I flash this.

Can I flash like on there?

GNet BB0060B ADSL Modem/Router issue

4. Adrian Wong

If you have already killed it, it's very difficult to reflash it back to working condition.

If you have two similar modems though, you can try hot flashing the firmware. We only have a guide on hot flashing BIOS chips too but it's really the same principle - Tech ARP - Hot Flashing Guide Rev. 2.0

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Some modem like my Linksys has a 'recovery option'

If the firmware is corrupted, just poke the reset button once more, it will load a page to upload the firmware

6. Adrian Wong

Actually, all modems should have the reset button.

I think he already tried it. In another post (http://forums.techarp.com/reviews-a...m-bad-flash-recovery-guide-4.html#post344101), he said he tried resetting it.

But almas, if you didn't actually try the tiny red reset button - TRY THAT! :D

7. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

uhoh .. i kill my modem once Dlink while upgrading firmware.. become a dead brick, bubai rm100~

8. Adrian Wong

What happened? Power died during the firmware upgrade? Or just the wrong firmware? :think:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I also killed an Aztech modem once. Didn't try to fix it though.

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

I was smart enough to use wifi to do the firmware upgrade .. then got disconnected halfway... :lol: .. idiotic-ness

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LMAO! PWNT! That is pure idiotic-ness, especially for someone like you. :haha:

12. Adrian Wong

LOL!!! No wonder! :mrgreen:

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Reminds me of a friend, who got free wifi access from his neighbour, and as a way to return his neighbour's 'favour', he helped him to flash to a new firmware LOL.

Luckily he did not screw up the neighbour's router.