Looking for cameras? Post all questions here!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dashken, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

btw guys, it there such thing that Olympus is the best DSLR cam around? A friend of mine keep arguing (14 year old kid which only takes like 20k pictures) and him claims Olympus E520 is the best.and keeps mentioning Canon and Nikon sucks :lol: Well, what u guys think actually? Not really good in it so i don't wanna argue with that friend of mine..ooh, he even mention that lens are not that important..i wonder can you pros over here gladly comment on this :D..thanks a lot.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

lens not important ? :mrgreen:

tell him to remove his lens and throw it away :mrgreen: and try taking pictures :mrgreen:

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

:haha: well he also mention, we don't need those expensive 1337 lens...normal lens will do..have not research much yet but most likely be getting a nikon...ooh, i wonder maybe some of you guys here can lend me some lens :haha:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Good equipment is a sword that cuts both ways. Just because you have good equipment, but without the skills/experience to match it, then your pictures would looke worse than a P&S. It can be pretty unforgiving. :o

Start with lower end and cheaper stuff and when you feel that it's holding you back (you feel really limited), then you know that you are at the point that you have maximized that piece of equipment and need to move on. :mrgreen:

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

One word. Fanboy. :p

You actually listen to a 14 yr old kid instead of a bunch of 'almost' middle-aged men... :haha:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

i never did :p...cause i know pros like you guys exist after all :D..people like falcone (omg, envy those lens he has), Chai :thumb:, Teh Big Boss of techarp,ooh not to mention PsYkHoTiK...eh, is it me or almost all Techarp staff owns a DSLR :lol:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey, my gear is cheap... :o My Camera budget got spread thin by my other hobbies.... :shifty:

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

lol..you got too many hobbies..and your are lich too :thumb:

9. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Yeah, every tom, dick and harry would say it's the photographer that counts but truth is... a good lens those make a different...give you an example

From the all famous Nikkor 85mm F1.4
    [​IMG]

and this was shoot in DX camera, you should see what this baby can do on FX.

There is a reason why people are so into FF, while 2.0 crop has its advantage, it not my cup of tea.

Also this shot
    Shot with 24-70 F2.8
    [​IMG]

Yes I can get this shot with cheaper alternative, but I probably won't get a pic as good as this.

10. Chai

BAIBAIBAI 85mm F1.4!!!

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Good lens do make a difference. Never said otherwise. All I pointed out is that it's just half of the equation.

12. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I do agree with starting low, I think all ARP old boys all started with entry level camera and lens, most of us started with D70 and kit lens. As our skill improves we want better lens better camera. Which leads to where we are today :p

For the 14 year old to say lens is not important shows how inexperience he is. If that was true then why do all the pros carrying Ls. Why pay for Hasselblad or Mamiya? A good photog can take good pics with any camera, a good photog can take even better pics with a good camera.

Of course owning a great lens only makes you a gearhead, using it makes u a photog.

Arg the poisoning never stop, I'm still lusting for it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

That's the truth of it right there. :thumb:

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

guys, what you think of the A200W (dual kit lens)..it's being sold at 2099..

15. Chai

We have told you many many times.

Nikon or Canon, because of lens choices, because of the popularity. It's not because Sony is a bad camera, but there are tons of advantage buying a popular brand.

16. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Lacus, the truth of the matter is there will always be technical improvements in the body. There are pros and cons to every DSLR Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, etc. have ever made. And every new model will be the same.

IMHO, when you buy a DSLR, you are investing in the whole system because you can't just switch to a different system. So, it makes sense to consider the pros and cons of the SYSTEM you want to adopt.

For me, it is advantageous to go with Nikon because of the wide range of second-hand lens available out there, and because my brother and the other Tech ARP members are using Nikons. So going with Nikon allows us to share lenses, etc.

There's nothing wrong with choosing Canon or Sony or even Olympus. This is especially true if you are rich and can afford to invest in more than just one system. But the key thing is to get a system you are comfortable with RIGHT NOW so you can start taking photos. After all, that's ultimately what you wanna do, right? Take photos. :D

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

T.T...too many brands..so now still stuck back to the N and C brands :D...don't think will go to O or S (friend send me a link..also a DSLR expert o_o")hmm, most likely will be settling for the D40. does lower mega pixels has any difference in pictures taken?

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Getting old? :haha: :wicked:

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't worry about megapixels, unless you intend to print large format photos. For 4R to 5R pictures, anything with 6 MP is more than good enough.

What's more important is a higher signal-to-noise level. Basically, you want lower noise levels. That's why better DSLRs have LARGER sensors.

The D40 and D40X both have sensors of the same size. But because the D40 has a much lower resolution, that means each pixel has a larger area for collecting light on the sensor. This results in a more accurate pixel colour and less noise.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though... :)

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

cool..i guess i might settle for a D40 then..finally...