Overclocking on P4P800-VM

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Chirieac, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Chirieac

Chirieac Newbie

Hello! I have a P4P800-VM motherboard and I've tried to overclock my CPU from BIOS but all the settings that I need (like FSB) are locked. I have the latest BIOS version (1018).
    Should I try to overclock from Windows with AI Booster (or another tool)?
    I've also tried to find a bios mod to unlock those setting but no lock there.
    What if I flash the bios from other similar motherboards, like P4P800 or P4P800-MX?

Bye! Have a nice day!

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

To keep out n00bs, the BIOS settings for overclocking is usually locked. You need to enable those settings, IF AVAILABLE, by going into manual mode, or something like that. With that said, not all motherboards come with overclocking support in the BIOS.

3. Chirieac

Chirieac Newbie

Thanks for your reply, Adrian Wong!

I've didn't find any "manual" setting in my bios. I've looked for AI Overclocking and jumperfree settings and no luck there.

4. Adrian Wong

Okay, I've taken the trouble of looking up your motherboard manual. You can get it here if you do not already have it - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4p800-vm/e1338_p4p800-vm.pdf

AFAICS, the motherboard does not support overclocking. You cannot change the CPU settings. You can only change the RAM speed. That's about it.

5. Chirieac

Chirieac Newbie

Thanks for your trouble! I appreciate that.

I've hoped that there will be somekind of bios hack/mod to unlock those features (like FSB).

I think I have two options:

1. Flashing to a similar bios from other board that have that options unlocked. (What do you think is most similar to mine?)

2. Using a software like ClockGen to overclock. (What sofware do you recommend?)

Thanks again, bye!

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Don't ever try to flash any BIOS other than your model. There's a very good reason why they have to create a unique BIOS version for every model, for some cases, every revision model!

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

What's the speed of the processor and type? At least to know if it's worth the trouble and don't forget the memory.

8. Chirieac

Chirieac Newbie

Thanks for your reply!

I have an Intel Celeron D Prescott at 2,4 GHz and a memory of 1150 MB at the speed of PC3200 (200 MHz). My CPU cooling fan is running at 2700 RPM.

Bye!

9. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

First of all OC only if you know what you're doing and only if need too :)
    The motherboard you have doesn't support OC from BIOS but you can use AI Booster from Asus and also there is another application called "Clockgen" (you should be able to find it through Google) but it could become pretty unstable.
    Make sure your processor and memory sticks are cooled enough otherwise you could end with a nice smell of fried components :)
    When you OC all the components in your system will get higher clocks than designed so make sure you will increase the speed somewhere between 1-10 MHz, if you can.
    That's all for now, hope it helps.
    It would be nice to know what other components are in your system (videocard, power supply, memory sticks, cooler)

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, you should be able to use ClockGen to overclock, but that's if it supports your motherboard's clock generator. Worth a try though.

11. Monalisa

Monalisa Banned

I agree with Wong that not all motherboards come with overclocking support in the BIOS so if your motherboard have such support then you need to enable those settings