[Auto Talk] Your most expensive car repair!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by zy, Dec 24, 2008.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i shall start first.

I just got my 2 front bearings replaced. each costing ~$170

The mechanic told me they could not get the bearings off the axle. so they had to use BLOWTORCH to cut my axle and bearings... LOL. means i need new axles.

2 bearings. ~$170 each
    2 drive shafts. ~$70 each
    labor ~ $220

total ~$760. OUCH.

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

My list too long...:haha:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Surprisingly, my Hyundai Sonata didn't cost me all that much so far... :pray: :pray:

Three sets of tyres changed = RM 1100 (US$ 315) per set
    Radiator pipe = RM 70 (US$ 20)
    Top overhaul for engine (due to overheating caused by the blasted leaking radiator pipe) = RM 500 (USD 143)
    Air conditioner filter replacement and servicing = RM 350 (USD 100)
    New radiator = RM 700 (USD 200) - I got fleeced by the mechanic. :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Broken Timing Belt and Half-broken engine due to broken timing belt: around more than RM2000. :wall:

5. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I'll post when I have one :p

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...not exactly repairs...

RM900+ for 15" Yokohama ES100
    RM960 for 15" Falken ST115
    RM2300 for Nismo S-Tune suspension
    RM280 for K&N drop-in filter
    RM500+ for Alutec Crank Pulley
    RM1900 for 15" SSR Type C rims

This is the list of my 'repairs' :haha:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

G35 coupe got rear ended. Rear quarter panel was creased due to the impact. Rear bumper got cracked (man that car was SOLID).

Pretty much had to disassemble the rear end (drop the LSD and rear assembly, remove trunk and rear windscreen etc), put on a frame puller (to make sure the frame was still within Infiniti's specs), bodywork on the rear quater panel, respray paint, etc etc. - $3800.

Someone's insurance got PWNT. :o

Also had a 1970 Mustang Coupe 302 (miss that car) go in for a repair/tune up (ATF line broke and I temporarily fixed it with some reinforced fuel line and worm drive clamps) and the car needed a tune up. So where did I go? A local Mustang garage/tuner (they had like 2 old school Mustang Mach 1s and a newer Cobra parked out - the owner's rides). Fixed ATF line, carb overhaul, and engine tune up - $780. But at least the Mustang was roaring (I swear it sounded a lot meaner) and was doing burnouts right after (though not too much coz the 4 drum brakes always scared me LOL). :mrgreen:

Get used to the labor rates here (and DIY when possible - not to save money but because it is fun as hell (to me at least))... :p

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  8. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, forgot the latest repair....

Alternator (reconditioned) = RM 340 (~US$ 98)

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My pa had an old, Ford Laser, where the floor of the car leaking with water. Fixed 3 times I guess. It wasn't that expensive, but the cumulative amount... :wall:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i think i cost me $500+ to get 4 17" Hankooks for my car.

11. JTech

JTech Newbie

The most expensive I can think of was when I blew the trans in my Mustang. Had a really sweet Art Carr modded trans and the first week with the new trans I lost all the gears during a race.

12. Adrian Wong

Wow.. How much did the repair cost you???

13. Ischemia24

Ischemia24 Newbie

'93 chevy pickup

When I had my truck, it needed an engine rebuild at one point. That was $2500. :boohoo:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think I'm going to have major repair soon.

Clutch, front lower arm bush, and don't know what problem from the rear suspension.

15. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That is expensive! :shock: