The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Microsoft issued a draft of the Windows 7 Technical Guarantee Program to their OEM partners on December 10, giving them exactly one month to provide their feedback before Microsoft finalizes the program details.

We managed to obtain a copy of the draft, which tentatively refers to the program as the "Windows 7 Upgrade Program". Let's take a look at the key points outlined in the draft.

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.0

We received more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program, and have thus updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.0

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.1

We received more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program, and have thus updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.1

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.2

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.2

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

super complicated :shock:

6. Adrian Wong

Wait until you see the stuff on new, improved Windows Experience Index, which we will be posting now... :shifty: :shifty:

7. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.3

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program Rev. 2.3

8. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.0

We received even more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program, and have updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.0

9. rubix1225

rubix1225 Newbie

Reformatting after the Windows 7 Upgrade Program

If I buy a Vista laptop after June 26, 2009 and upgrade to Windows 7 using the Windows 7 Upgrade Program, what's going to happen if I want to reformat my laptop a year down the line? Do I have to restore my laptop to Vista using the laptop's recovery disk, then upgrade to Windows 7? Or can I simply install Windows 7 with the upgrade media without installing Vista? Thanks for any replies!:D

10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

You can install Windows 7 straightaway. But you'd have to download the drivers from the website of the company you bought the laptop from. :D

11. rubix1225

rubix1225 Newbie

Fantastic! Thanks.

12. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.1

We received even more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Program, and have updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.1

13. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.2

We received even more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program, and have updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 3.2

14. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 4.0

We received even more details of the Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program, and have updated and expanded this article with the following information :

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 4.0

15. Adrian Wong

The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 4.1

[​IMG]

Link : The Microsoft Windows 7 Free Upgrade Option Program Rev. 4.1

16. avinashp2

avinashp2 Newbie

Can a copy of the upgrade DVD be used on another same OEM machine

Hi ...

Can a copy of the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD be used on another same OEM machine (in my case HP) without needing the COA product key ....

Is the product key from the existing activated Windows Vista used or is it somehow tied to the product serial key and detected automactically for machines manufactured by the OEM withing the validity period

17. Adrian Wong

I think you will need to use the Windows 7 COA that comes with the upgrade DVD.

18. avinashp2

avinashp2 Newbie

Thanks Adrian ...

A lot of people are having issues while applying for an upgrade because the third party that HP is using for distribution is erratic while checking the proof of purchase softcopy ...

I am having difficulties locating my proof of purchase :( ...
    Apparently online invoices are not accepted

19. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yeah, they need proof of purchase, pretty troublesome. i had to get my dad to send me a scanned copy while i was away from home in college.. :wall:

what proof of purchase they need?

20. Adrian Wong

The trouble is Microsoft has left it to the OEMs to decide who qualifies for the upgrade.

IMHO, the OEMs should already have a database of those who purchased the PCs during the offer period. There should be no need for anyone to have to go through the circus of furnishing printed/scanned copies of receipts before qualifying the free upgrade.