overclocking intel core 2 duo e6850 3.0ghz

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by coolwhip, Feb 24, 2009.

1. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

I am new to overclocking and read about it for a while. Havent done any of it yet but read articles upon articles..
    I dled the cpu-z program and in it it was jumping around tell me my cpu multiplier was at 6 and i was running at 2 ghz than at 9 and running at 3 ghz... i ran the nvidia monitor and it said i was running at 3ghz... anyways besides that little mix up i wanted to try to overclock my cpu... i have the e6850 on a evga nforce 680i sli motherboard with 4 gigs of ocz ddr2 ram at 400 mhz... any suggestions for a beginner?? my first opinion was that i can adjust the multiplier to x10 and get 3.3ghz out of it, anyway i am currently reading the article on this forum about overclocking as well...

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

as far as i know, you can't increase the multiplier since its locked at 9 max. unless i'm wrong. you need to increase the FSB.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yes, unless you have an unlocked Intel Core 2 processor (e.g. Extreme Edition), you must overclock the FSB to overclock the processor.

The multiplier is locked for all Core 2 processor, including most engineering samples. Only "some" engineering sample and Extreme Editions of the Intel Core 2 processor have unlocked multipliers.

When overclocking, be sure to take it step by step. Overclock in small steps. Don't be overly ambitious. :)

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

FSB is the only way to overclock. You should be able to reach 380MHz without voltage bump.

5. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

The way i overclocked my cpu was changing the fsb from 1333 to 1372 wich than gave me 343 mhz instead of 333.. my ghz went from 3.00 to 3.08 ... but when i looked in cpu-z normally running at 333 mhz my ram is at fsb:ram 5:6 and it was running fine at 400 mhz when i went to the 343 mhz my ram went to 15:16 and running at like 394 mhz... again i am new to overclocking but i want to experiment with it and reading a ton of guides.. any ideas about this situation?

6. Chai

Change your RAM to 1:1 ratio and bump the FSB to 380MHz at least. 343MHz is nothing. :mrgreen:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

8. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

yea ive read that article and gotta read it again.... so correct me of im wrong... first when you guys say take it in +10 mhz increments you mean raising the fsb from 1333 to 1372 to go from 333 mhz to 343 mhz and so on?... and correct me if im wrong on this but if i put a 1:1 ratio with me raising my FSB from 1333 to 1372 now i have the 343 mhz from my cpu doesn't that mean my ram would now be at 686?

9. Chai

Yup. Keep the RAM at low speed to prevent it from hitting its limit so soon.

10. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

Hey sorry for being a pain loll just trying to understand all of this best i can. Thank you for all the reply's and help.
    When i raise the FSB to 1372 and my ram speed goes to 686mhz thats 686 mhz out of 800??? using the pc26400??? and i shouldn't exceed the 800 mhz limit???

11. Chai

You should not exceed IF you are not overclocking.

When you are overclocking, it's up to you to test for the stability. :mrgreen:

I managed to get my old E6850 up to 3.6GHz without voltage bump, that's 400MHz FSB.

12. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

ok i think i understand now that my fsb should be at 1600 will give me a 400 mhz cpu will give me the 3.6 ghz and my ram being pc26400 will now be at the 400 mhz.. which is really X 2 to give me that 800mhz? and thats a 1:1 ratio?

13. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

I have been having trouble understanding the ram dividers and how it all works.. also not sure about what it is to exceed mhz.. in other words a pc2 6400 800 memory speed.. when using cpu-z shows it as 400mhz since thats the clock speed. so now when overclocking your cpu do you not want to exceed 400 mhz clock speed?? for an ideal system i would need a pc2 5400 which is 667mhz... clock speed 333mhz so that would be 1:1 ratio with my cpu since the cpu is at 333mhz... but since i have pc2 6400 at 400 mhz i can put the ratio to 5:4 so that if i raise my cpu mhz without exceeding the 400 mhz of the memory this way i can see where my cpu is unstable before my memory??

14. Chai

You are really confusing yourself with the base clock and the double pump for DDR2, likewise for FSB which is 'quad pump'.

If you convert everything to base clock, everything will make sense to you.

I'm not sure about your motherboard, but on my Abit, everything is in base clock, including RAM at 333MHz (DDR2 667/DDR2 5300), 333MHz (1333MHz).

Like Adrian said before, there's no point in overclocking the memory and tweaking the latency. There's not much difference doing that.

The reason for changing the ratio to 1:1 is mainly to allow overclocking the processor to a much higher level, like beyond 400MHz FSB.

15. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

ok now i put the ratio to 1:1 and i got a warning error on the post test and it told me to go back to the bios to fix the cpu speed. now everything at base speed my ddr2 6400 is at 400 mhz and my base for fsb is 333... now wont this cause a problem if i put it to a 1:1 ratio? wont the memory actually be underclocked now? and become 333mhz?

16. Chai

Yup, it should. I don't know why your system can't handle 333MHz. Maybe your RAM timings are on SPD, you should fix it to the rated ratings.

17. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

on my motherboard all of the speeds arent base speeds so the mem shows 800 the fsb shows 1333... i looked over a guide for the motherboard and it says if i select unlinked i can adjust the fsb mhz manually without affecting the mem mhz. so is this the best way to adjust the cpu in your opinion? in other words i can make the cpu run at 343 mhz instead of the 333 by adjusting the fsb to 1372 and i can leave the mem mhz at 800.

18. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

Ok now i got it in the 1:1 ratio... on my motherboard it has set ratios 1:1 5:4 3:2 ... and than it has synced mode.... now when i put it to 1:1 (on my motherboard the speeds are actual.. not base speeds) the memory mhz jumped from 800 to i forgot exactly but like 1066 or around that number.. when i put it into sync mode i got that 667 mhz that we were looking for.. and when i can cpu-z it shows as 1:1 ratio and running at 333 mhz. Now everytime i change something i look at my nvidia monitor and the fsb is at 1.4 but in the bios it in auto so. should i lower that voltage or do you think i need it that high?

19. Chai

If you are overclocking, leave the voltage as it is.

20. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

I have been reading on the way to overclock my board and there are 2 options.. i can do linked/synced... wich will give me the 1:1 ratio but as i adjust the fsb the cpu and memory adjusts.. but my mem 800 mhz will be reduced to 667 so i have head room there... in unlinked i can leave my memory at 800 and adjust the fsb to raise the cpu without touching the memory.. in your opinion should i use the linked/synced or the unlinked??? i plan on trying both ways but just curious what you think?