overclocking intel core 2 duo e6850 3.0ghz

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by coolwhip, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think it's possible to unlinked.

2. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

no its possible i did it and i looked at my motherboards guide to overclocking and in it they say it to.... so i think that would be my best choice to find out the limits of both ram and cpu sperately.. make it a whole lot easier. aside from overclocking i noticed on my comp that the front fan wasn't running... its connected to chasi fan header.. and it shows it in my nvidia monitor as running at 5400 rpm... so i switched it to chasi header #2 and now its running fine but doesn't show up in my nvidia monitor..

3. Chai

By unlink, maybe they meant by using a different ratio. No matter what, when you overclock the FSB, the memory speed will go up according to the ratio, so it's not possible to unlink.

I don't personally advise you to test the memory limit because the gain is negligible.

4. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

k yea i dont really plan on messing with memory much.. but with the unlink option it is there and than you can adjust the fsb seperate from the mem mhz... with any other option selected when u adjust the fsb the mem moves with it accordingly but with that option the mem stays at its reg 800 mhz... and now that fan is as aux fan running at 1200 rpm lol guess that port is just bad for some reason..

5. Chai

Did you confirm it using CPU-Z?

6. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

When you choose unlinked the FSB and memory speed no longer will be "linked", so they won't affect eachother.

7. coolwhip

coolwhip Newbie

yea so thts the best way for me to find out the limits of my cpu right? right now ive been using synced which puts my mem down to 667 and i can get the fsb to 1600 which than brings my mem back to 800 mhz...