dSLR for beginner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wiiz, Jun 24, 2009.

1. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

Hi all, it's been a while i didn't visit ARP. Anyway, i'm thinking of buying my first dSLR. Already have 3 models in mind, canon eos 1000d (around RM2k), nikon d40 and sony a200 (both around RM1.6k). See ShaShinKi.com ~ Malaysia's Online Camera Shop!. Need opinion on these 3 models, or other model that you know or have hands on experience with. Maybe buying around xmas promotion. (Need to save $$$$ first lorrr....:mrgreen: )

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Since those cameras are almost equal, I guess what fits your hand best is important. D40 has the lowest MP, and quite honestly, not worth the money. But it has the best kit lens, and 55-200 is cheap and good if you are planning to add another lens.

Why do you want to get DSLR?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

errr... lemme think.

if you are planning to buy additional lens, you must be aware that d40 doesn't have a focus motor attached to the body.

you will need AF-S lens to get auto focus.
    AF lens doesnt have built in motor (i maybe wrong)

if you get the 50mm f1.8 lens, be prepared to manual focus on a d40.

d40 seems more like a beginner dSLR.

4. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Actually all three are begineers camera, but to be fair you should be comparing between 1000D, D60, and A300. Ok A300 is not available.

Features wise 1000D is da best and is the latest among, but built wise I say Nikon better,

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

1000D built quality is not as good as the 450D for sure.

6. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

OK.Image quality wise (especially in low light condition), d60 & 1000d, which is better?

7. Falcone

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Umm.. Why not consider the Nikon D5000? You can get it for just RM 2790 (USD 800) with the kit lens.

9. Chai

It's RM1000 more than D40.

10. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. The D5000 has a higher resolution, a short video capture feature and a flip LCD panel, which may be worth the extra cost. But it still lacks the AF motor and the LCD panel flips downwards, which is not so useful.

11. Chai

For that price, I would rather spend more to get D90, which has better LCD, built in motor, better kit lens. :haha:

12. Falcone

They say there might be a lower range D5000 releasing.:lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Adrian Wong

I think the D90 costs RM 3.6K? That's another RM 900 (US$ 260) or so for the upgrade! :lol:

14. Adrian Wong

Really??? But the D5000 just came out. What else can they remove from the D5000? The flip LCD display?

15. Falcone

16. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Same models as what I'm thinking >_>...Hmm, don't know if it's me or what, i tested the 1000D, and the lens thingie feels quite lose...i wonder is it due to the display set or what :/ D60 seems quite ok for me >.>..i guess...

17. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

chai, d90 around 4K :shock: :shock: with 18-105mm lens. wayyyyy beyond my budget.

18. Adrian Wong

Then consider the Nikon D5000! :D

Or wait for the D3000 if the rumours are true.

19. Chai

If you want cheap Nikon DSLR, consider D40 or some second hand cameras.

20. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

given the 3 choices, I'll go for either A200 or the 1000D.

I had the D40 for a few things - lack of vertical grip support (AFAIK no original Nikon grip, 3rd party grip not nice) and the lack of AF points. the Nikkor 18-55 is a good lens though.

A200 comes with SSS and can even do wireless flash trigger (for Nikon you'll find it in D90 onwards. Canon you won't even have it.)

1000D is nice too but of course, they don't have stabilization features like SSS but if not mistaken it comes with Live View, which I like very much.

D40 is really really old la. if need Nikon, then at least the D60 which I think is decent if you're not picky on the lack of AF point and grip support.

D90 is good! awesome camera man, i really like it. love the body, love the kit lens (18-105VR awesomeness!) but if you can't fork out ~RM 4k, do consider looking around for 40D which is around RM 3.3k with EF-S 18-55 IS, a much better option than any 450D / 500D / D5000 in my book.

only consider the 500D / D5000 if you want video capability, D5000 with the edge on swivel LCD.

----------

Just summarize.

low range : Sony A200 / Canon 1000D for me. :) i detest Nikon low range bodies, although they are actually very capable cameras. It's just not what i like.
    low-medium range : Nikon D90 / Canon 40D - seriously, the D90 is awesome. so is the rare 40D. 50D? pointless IMO, i don't think it's worth the price.
    medium range : Nikon D300 another awesome camera. No video is ok but the # of AF points are really nice.
    FF : Canon 5D mk II / Nikon D700 nuff said, both are great in my book.

*sorry, the above RANGE thing isn't particularly accurate but it's the best I can do. just sharing. kthxbai.