It's been a really bad day...

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Today has been a very good day. No "morning call" for starters, so that was a BIG relief.

Since the craniectomy and removal of part of the new clot, she has been stable so far and her intracranial pressure is generally good. That's expected, of course, since part of the cranium has been removed.

The good news is, today, her diabetes insipidus (which is a sign of brain trauma) has resolved itself. Her infection also seemed to be under control. :thumb: :thumb:

She is still under sedation but they plan to reduce the sedation tomorrow. She actually improved enough for them to send her for another CT scan earlier this afternoon.

It showed that both the original and the new clots are now smaller in size, although the brain is still swollen. Considering her dire circumstances just yesterday, these are very promising signs.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed real tightly but I do feel that we have turned a crucial corner here. Hopefully, it's smooth sailing from here onwards!

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

:pray: :pray:
    any improvement is a good sign, even if its little!

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Great to hear that! Good luck again !

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

good to hear there's improvement.

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

We are very relieved with the later news! Will keep praying for her and hope she continues to recover well.

6. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Glad to hear the positive news! :clap:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Very good news indeed. Praying for more GOOD news! :D :pray:

8. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Thank you Lord for bring Jenny out of danger and into healing. We pray to you that You will continue to heal and guide Jenny to recovery. Let Adrian always have faith. In Jesus name we pray.

9. Yukirin

Yukirin Newbie

It's nice to hear the good news coming. I bet the good news will be coming in more and more.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

good to hear bout the good news..all of us here will keep our fingers crossed for her :)

11. peaz

Latest update from Adrian.

"Today not much change. Icp a bit raised to about 17 but still stable. They tried reducing her sedation this morning but increased it 3 hours later. They claim there was eye movement to pain earlier. I dunno. Just glad she's stable today."

12. Adrian Wong

Thanks, Ken. That about sums up today. I'm just glad I didn't get any "emergency" calls from the hospital.

They reduced her sedation to try to wake her. I suppose that's when they saw her moving her eyes (or something). Didn't get to question the doctors, but that was what was stated in the charts.

Her brain still cannot handle it though... seemed to have swelled up a bit after they reduced the sedation, so after about 3 hours, they turned it back on. The good news is that she has been relatively stable so far, albeit with a slightly higher ICP.

Considering how "close" we came, I think that's pretty good news. Not great news, of course, but it's still better than earlier.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Sounds like it can only get better from here. Stay well, Adrian. Hope she pulls through soon enough :thumb:

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's good she's doing a lot better. Hoping for the best! :pray:

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Again, let's hope, pray for the best and more support too! :pray:

16. peaz

More updates from Adrian
    "Jenny's icp went up last night above 20 so they increased sedation and sent her for an urgent ct this morning. Fortunately the ct was ok. Old clot much smaller but new clot still pretty big. So they think it's a false reading. She has a fever though but they started her on antibiotics already."

17. Adrian Wong

Came back from another visit just now. Thanks to the pretty aggressive antibiotics, her fever receded by the time I went back at 10 pm.

However, her intracranial pressure was persistently high at 22-25 mmHg. :wall: :wall:

Hopefully, those are just false readings because the latest CT scan showed that the old clot is much smaller now. Even the new clot is a little smaller. There is still cerebral swelling but everything else looks pretty good.

Better not think too much. Can only hope and pray. :pray:

18. peaz

More updates from Adrian.

"Looks like the earlier readings were wrong. Can't be sure cause no doc around but they recalibrated it and it went down to about 17. However she has developed a fever again for which they have started another round of antibiotics. They have also reduced her sedation slightly."

let's continue to pray for jenny

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It seems like whenever they tried to reduce the sedation, the ICP will increase, doesn't sound good here.

Hopefully they can reduce the sedation, with the ICP staying at a lower pressure, or even better, reducing. :D

20. Adrian Wong

Yes, that's the plan actually. They are "testing" her with lower levels of sedation. If her ICP remains stable with lower sedation, then they can go even lower.

Her brain is still swollen even though the old clot is now much smaller in size. It will take a while to get it down.

Unfortunately, staying sedated for long periods of time (even in the ICU) is a bad idea. She can get infected (like now) and she could develop other problems like bed sores, deep vein thrombosis, etc.