True or False : Never Drive In The Rain With Cruise Control On!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Got this in the mailbox. Wonder if it's true....

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm not surprised. Cruise control acceleration is harsh.

I'm guessing that the car does not have stability control or traction control.

I went to search around, apparently is it true.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sounds logical to me.

But I don't have cruise control on my car. Nothing to worry. :mrgreen:

4. zy

My car also no cruise control. Even if have, i won't use it. It is for puss*es :twisted:

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

No cruise control here .. if got I would set it to cruise at 140 kmph:lol:

6. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Mine has no cruise control either. Fortunately, it has traction control. If given a choice between the two, I would take traction control any day. :D

7. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

True and false, the cruise control will actually try to slow the car as wheel spin causes the car to think it is going faster than it really is.

It is not a good idea to use cruise control in those conditions as it is a time when you need complete control over the throttle.

8. zy

Hmm. Good question. But if the car does not have stability control, cruise control can only slow down the car by letting go the throttle (or engine braking for manual).

If the car have stability control, maybe it can control the brakes? :think: :think: :think: :think:

I don't know how cruise control works on modern cars :doh:

Another point is where the cruise control gets it speed input. Most of the get it from the drive shaft. :think:

So let me think again, for a standard car with cruise control, no traction control, no stability control, no LSD.

If one wheel hits the puddle, while the cruise control is still maintaining the speed, that wheel will spin faster than the other wheel because there is less friction and no LSD. then when it regains traction that wheel causes the car to loose control because of the speed difference. :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

9. Adrian Wong

Will there actually be a sensor to detect the speed difference in a single wheel???

Or does cruise control actually use the average speed of all four wheels, or just the powered wheels?

10. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

True most cars get thier speed input from the speed sensor that is in the transmission, however my car also has ABS which requires a speed sensor in each wheel for 4 wheel ABS each of these have a wire that runs back to the Cruise Control.

Should cause a spinout, yes.

11. zy

Exactly, most new cars that have cruise control, have ABS. and ABS requires each wheel to have its own speed sensor. Any automotive engineer here? :p

12. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Just have to field test it, any volunteer's.:shifty:

13. zy

So, what do we need?

Car with cruise control. I got none :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

And RAIN! :D

I got rain here but no cruise control. :haha:

15. Chai

My car doesn't have ABS, cruise control or traction control. They are for noobs! :haha:

16. zy

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    I have no ABS too. I have rear drum brakes. :shifty:

I wish my car was RWD or AWD then i can snow drift. :beer: Maybe not RWD.....

17. Adrian Wong

UNTIL you buy a car with those features... :wicked:

18. Chai

If I have a choice, other than ABS, I don't want the other driving aids.