Shell Oil's Safety Report On Mobile Phones - True or False?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Okay, got this one in an e-mail, purportedly a report from Shell. Do you think it's true?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

source: PEI Safety-Stop Static Campaign

The main culprit is static. People must always ground themselves to the frame of the car before fueling.

Do not enter the car while refueling. You might have charged up some static while in the car and went straight to the pump instead of grounding yourself. Disastrous result.

3. zy

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

yea static especially when you wear a croc shoe, full rubber ..

5. zy

I get a lot of static when..... my skin in dry.

6. Adrian Wong

That's what I thought - STATIC.

I remember the Mythbusters testing this myth out. They couldn't get their mobile phone to ignite even fumes in an enclosed space.

If I remember correctly, the sparks are generated by static when you insert the nozzle into the inlet, igniting any fumes in the area.

Also, if fire occurs, you should not pull the nozzle away. Apparently, that is the big mistake that everyone makes. Pulling the nozzle away adds more fuel to the fire.

7. zy

I think I read in the PEI article that modern cellphones does not produce enough RF to ignite the fumes. Its the old old old really powerful ones that they are afraid off.

I always have my cellphone in my pocket even when I am filling up at the gas/petrol station. :whistle:

8. Adrian Wong

I don't think it's the RF that's supposed to ignite the fumes. If I'm not mistaken, it is the built-in speaker that supposed tp ignite the fumes when the phone rings? :think:

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

cooking fish ball :whistle: :p

adrian: are you sure this so called report was sent out by shell?

10. zy

and sausage. :shhh:

11. Adrian Wong

Nope. In fact, I seriously doubt it was from Shell. That's why I said that this was "purportedly a report from Shell".

BTW, do you know that our government still believes that mobile phones can cause fires at petrol stations? I think it's against the law to answer the phone whenever you are pumping petrol. :think:

12. Adrian Wong

Woah!! Talking about catching fire at the gas station! Check this out! :shock:

Picture below : Noraini crying out after her hair was burnt in a sudden fire in a petrol station at Indera Mahkota, Kuantan, yesterday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  13. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

When trin was a kid they had full service gas station's. Ma just handed out 5 bucks "for a fill up" and we all just sat there waiting in the 67 Bel Air..:whistle:

No cell phones back then... But lots of CB's!!!! Whats up with that???:haha:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  14. Adrian Wong

If you didn't catch fire with a CB radio, I don't think a mobile phone will spark any fire!

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Well, Citizens' Band radio frequency and cellphone signals are different. But would they anyway cause fire? I'm still wondering that. :haha:

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Do you know that most petrol stations I'm been to has signs of "no mobile phones allowed"?

17. Adrian Wong

That's the thing - I don't think mobile phones can cause a fire. I don't see what they have that can cause a spark.

Well, a faulty battery can catch fire and explode, but it won't be because you are using it.

18. Adrian Wong

Yup! They still believe it's due to mobile phones!