The new Honda City has quality problems?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is quite surprising, since the new Honda City is a pretty overpriced car. Honda jacked up the price of this new car even during an economic downturn. Still, many Malaysians bought it because :

a) It's a Honda
    b) It has a nice Transformers kind of look
    c) It's Japanese so it must be good, and resale value will be high.
    b) Did I mention it's a Honda?

So as overpriced as it is, Honda sold quite a number of these cars. The thing is quite a number of Honda City owners are now complaining about the bad quality issues :

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Where did you get the news from?

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Sounds more like Honda Assembled in Malaysia :mrgreen:

4. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Oh the petrol rubber is the same since the previous honda. And they will charge a bomb for a small rubber piece since if your fault if you lost it.

I also had the window winding problem with my previous CT, also wind sound going about 120-140kmph, a lot of minor defects. Is totally bullshit I tell you for the price you are paying, you are better off with a Perodua or something cheaper. And not forgetting the RM28K CVT gearbox which go K.O. only clocking milage 64k km.

Resale value high my arse. 4 years CT car, I lost RM30K+. Last time with Kancil I only lost RM10k after 4 years.

5. zy

Only City? Not other Hondas?

I have no major/minor problem with the CR-V yet except one time when the VTEC kinda lost power, but it fixed itself. :rolleyes:

1st Gen Proton Saga wasa solid car.

I do know Waja was a shitty car.

6. Chai

How can you compare like that? You should calculate by the percentage lost. Kancil is only RM20+k brand new. Loosing 10k is still 50% lost.

We all know that City has CVT gearbox problem, everyone knows it. Yeah, I think this is Honda Malaysia problem. Honda is often known as one of the most reliable brand in other parts of the world. That's why I quite surprised many are choosing Toyota over Honda in Malaysia. I only drive Nissan cars in my life. :lol:

My friend is very interested in Civic and Altis. Judging from his personality, he would definitely choose Civic. But after his colleague's influence, he has most probably decided to get Altis.

7. Adrian Wong

My condo's forum. It's based on their personal experience.

8. Adrian Wong

I heard about the CVT gearbox problem. But as I understand it, Honda says it's because the CVT gearbox requires a special type of oil. Apparently, you cannot just use any third-party AT oil. Doing so will kill the CVT.

9. Adrian Wong

Apparently it's limited to the City... so far.

Quality issues aside, the local Honda Accord is overpriced and lack features that even my old '02 Hyundai Sonata has. For example, it's already 2009 and they still haven't gotten to using gas lifts for the boot???? :wall:

I did think of "upgrading" to it.. but then I realized that I would actually be downgrading in some ways. Plus, I would be losing RM 2,000-2,500 (USD 600-750) per month in depreciation cost for the "privilege" of owning the car, even if I didn't drive it at all. :wall: :wall:

10. Adrian Wong

That's true in a way... but it is also important to calculate the actual quantum lost in depreciation. After all, that is exactly what you are losing! :)

Lots of people say that Korean cars depreciate faster. In a way, that's true... but because their cost price is lower, the actual depreciation per month could be much lower than that of a similar (but far more expensive) Japanese make.

Hmm.. Never tried the Civic, but I did try the Altis. IMHO, the Altis is only suitable for people who cannot decide if they want something small (like City) or sporty (like Civic) or something large and luxurious (like Accord). It's an in-between car for the indecisive. :mrgreen:

11. zy

I drove both Civic and Corolla (Corolla Altis).

I feel the Civic to be a more stable car than Corolla on the highway.

12. Chai

If that's the case, then don't buy expensive car. When I buy a car, I expect to lose more than 1/2 the original value. The more you pay for the car, the more you are going to lose. You should always compare cars with similar original value. You can't compare a 20k car with a 70k car.

That's the price to pay for buying expensive car.

13. zy

More like, whenever you buy a new car, you have already lost a lot.

14. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Kancil new was 26k so lost is about 40%. The Honda CVT shit thing, I sevice the car only with Honda service center and with only Honda CVT gear oil. So totally bullsh!t .. Anyway, how i still like the civic not sure bout CT as it build in Msia and maybe as crap as protong ..

15. Chai

I couldn't drive a car with auto box, let alone CVT! My next car will most likely be a manual Japanese car, probably a second hand too.

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

More like mini-van.....:shifty:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. zy

CVT is like a scooter.....

My dad's audi is a CVT :lol:

18. Adrian Wong

I agree. Definitely you will lose more if you buy a more expensive car, and that's before you even factor in the cost of maintaining and running it!

I guess our affordability of any car would depend on how much you are willing to 'burn' on a car per month. Sigh... Too bad our cars are so expensive and even if we opt for Honda or Toyota, we still have to put up with poor build and poor value for money.

19. Adrian Wong

Oh, that's terrible. I always thought it was the use of improper ATF that caused the problem with the CVT gearbox... :think:

Too bad it's so unreliable though.. as it's supposed to be a great help in reducing fuel consumption.

20. Adrian Wong

BTW, I saw the Kia / Naza Forte on display yesterday. It was locked though...

As I understand the price list, there are three models on offer - two 1.6L models and one 2.0L model. The ultimate would be the 2.0L model which retails for about RM 92K. Comes with everything from keyless entry to leather interiors. However, other than the larger engine and nicer trimmings, the 2.0L model is the same as the 1.6L model.

Whatever engine you choose, it looks real nice. The 2.0L engine might be overkill for such a small package but it's a good option if you are looking for something sportier. I would prefer the 1.6L model with the high-end trimmings... although I wish they would throw in the leather interiors.

As far as value for money goes, it sure beats the Toyota Vios and Honda City in most aspects - size, features, engine capacity and choices, price.

My biggest issue with it is the Naza marque. IMHO, resale value for Naza vehicles is even worse than Korean vehicles. Even if both the Kia Forte and the Naza Forte are the same, I think the Kia vehicle would fetch a higher value.