Kia / Naza Forte

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

chai: what about a well maintained 3/4 yo japanese car vs a new korean car? :mrgreen:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm currently using a 2 year old second hand Japanese car (currently 6-7 yrs old). So I guess that answers your question. :mrgreen:

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

is korean car really that bad?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good question... Sometimes I wonder if people merely buy Japanese cars because it's a Japanese car, and not because that particular car is good.

Example - the Toyota Avanza is an absolute piece of crap. It's like a poorly-made Proton with a Toyota logo - bad NVH, bad suspension, bad build quality but with a Toyota price. :hand: :hand:

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Hmm,does that mean Kia cars are pretty bad o_O? sorta saw this car's Ad and find the Keyless entry thingie pretty nice XD....

6. Chai

I would never even consider cars that are made for the ASEAN market, like Avanza, Innova.

I'm never a fan of fancy modern electronic gadgets that has high failure rate.

7. Adrian Wong

As much as I enjoy those gadgets... I must admit they are a weak spot.

If something important like an engine sensor or the start button goes, you will not be able to start the car! :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

I wouldn't say they are bad... I think the Korean CBU cars are pretty well-built, and quality is improving all the time.

However, Naza does not have a very good reputation for service. Typical Malaysian company - the only service you will get is LIP SERVICE! :roll:

9. apeque73

apeque73 Newbie

Hi all..I'm on the verge of getting the Forte 1.6. 70% comfirm..hehe.what I really need to know is the FC.how's the mileage?

10. Chai

I don't think there's any Forte owners here.

Is this car really that good? I heard so many recommendations.

11. apeque73

apeque73 Newbie

No Forte owners here?? Hmm..

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well... it's one of the best spec/price car out there. And the mileage is not bad too, my friend is getting about 15sen/km if I'm not mistaken. 15sen/km is very good for me already... another friend who has an older model, is getting around 13sen/km.

I want to get one as well... no money only. :p

But quite a few has been saying that the 1.6 is underpowered. :think:

13. Chai

That is true. But I'm still biased. :haha: Must get a car which is not underpowered!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  14. Adrian Wong

IMHO, the Forte offers a great package. Tons of features in a nice package. Real value for money.

Get the new 6 speed model if you can, because the transmission is the same as that used on my Hyundai Sonata. Supposed to be maintenance free for 300,000 km! It will also improve your car's FC.

1.6L may be a little underpowered for the car of that size. It's okay la.. if you don't mind a more sedate drive, but 2.0L would be more suitable.

PS. I don't normally zheng my car but I highly recommend you replace the Naza logo with a proper Kia logo. I can't stand the Naza logo for some reason.

15. Adrian Wong

This is a little off-topic but I must say that the new Korean engines and transmissions are really good.

I just tried my new Hyundai Sonata YF 2.4L on a road trip from KL to Johor and it registered a FC of 7.5 L per 100 KM or 13.3 KM/L.

That was based on a total distance of about 300 km - 250 km highway and 50 km rural roads.

16. Chai

There's no doubt about the improvements on Korean engines. When I drove Hyundai i30 (Avante equivalent), I could get 16.4km/l or 6L/km! I also managed to get 15.5km/l from my 8 year old car.

But seriously, fuel consumption is important, but nothing beats the one behind the wheel controlling the fuel consumption. :mrgreen: There are other priorities that concerns me way more. Unless you are driving some supercars, fuel consumption is not "that" important.

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Very true... :beer: I've seen prius' stomp on the gas harder than me (well not "accelerating faster" - just flooring it all the time) on traffic lights. Keeping the car in gear and coasting helps fuel economy. Shifting below 2k rpm (grandpa style) helps too. :lol: Smoothness is key.

This is coming from someone who has hit 26MPG on the highway, 18-19MPG on normal driving, and 6MPG stomping on it all the time (aka race track). :mrgreen:

18. Chai

Actually, Malaysians don't really care about fuel consumption despite many complains about fuel hike. These are some examples:

1. Auto > Manual - It's a known fact that auto is not as efficient as manual. But guess what? Auto is the favourite choice among Malaysians. Yea yea, traffic jams...I've been driving manual all my life, so I know better. But that's about to change, not because I want to change, but I don't have any choice!

2. People are pumping RON97 even though they are driving "sofas". I can be a very aggressive driver, but you will never see me using RON97 on my car, because I know it's not going to make a difference on my car.

3. Tons of crazy drivers on the road like petrol is free, tailgating at high speed (or maybe they are 'drafting' with the car in front!) :haha:

19. Adrian Wong

I'm not sure about the others, but FC is a factor. It's just not the main factor.

When I went looking for a new car, I also considered diesel-based vehicles like the Hyundai Santa Fe, the Kia Sorento, but they were still too unrefined and frankly, we are just not used to the suspension. To be fair, I just tried my uncle's RM 258K VW Tiguan and it also wobbled like a boat. :wall:

So it was definitely a sedan for us... and lots of stuff like size, comfort level, features, value for money and of course, the general "feel" for the car came into the picture. FC was definitely a factor but it was not the ultimate factor. If it was the main factor, I would have selected the Toyota Prius or the Honda Insight. :haha:

But when it comes to auto-gears and such, sometimes, it's just not an option. Many cars now come with auto-gear boxes as standard. It's not like you get to choose.

I agree. Most people are ignorant about RON 97. I don't claim to be an expert on cars but I do my homework when it comes to fuel and frankly speaking, most cars don't need RON 97.

The manual of my Hyundai Sonata YF (2011), for example, specifically states that its engine can use RON 92 but works best with RON 95. So I should definitely use RON 95 even if RON 92 is available. My old Sonata EF (2002), on the other hand, works great with RON 92 so even RON 95 would be a waste of money.

Using RON 97 in other case though would be a waste of money as neither the Sonata YF or the Sonata EF need RON 97. If your car manual specifically says that your car will run better with RON 97, then you should use RON 97. Usually, it would be needed for engines with higher compression ratios, if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  20. Chai

Just to let you know how bad the manual market is here, if I'm not mistaken, the Nissan Sentra 1.6 Manual is only contributing less than 5% of the total sales. And when I mention that my car is a manual when I wanted to trade in, instant 5-10k "discount". :faint: