OMG! Text messages (SMS) have a markup of 6500%!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Just read this on CNNMoney :

It's ridiculous to pay so much to text. US$ 0.20 per SMS sent and US$ 0.10 for each SMS received? :nuts:

Fortunately, most of the plans here in Malaysia charge RM 0.10-0.15 (US$ 0.03-0.05) per SMS sent while there is no charge to receive SMS. :thumb:

Even so, when you calculate the actual cost of each SMS (US$ 0.003 / RM 0.01), even our Malaysian service providers are marking up their SMS charges by 1000%! :shock:

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

In Malaysia, the youth plans are real cheap, like 1 cent to same carrier

3. Adrian Wong

You have to opt for the text plan which charges you a lot more for calls. But yeah, it will be very cheap for those who text a lot.

Unfortunately, on my Maxis iPhone plan, they intentionally limit me to 100 free texts per month. It's very easy to send 100 SMSes. And then I have to start paying 15 cents per text.

I opted for 500 text package upgrade, which allows me to send 500 SMSes per month for only RM 8 (US$ 2.40). However, they are limited to only Maxis numbers. Non-Maxis numbers will get charged the regular 15 cents per SMS.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Erm, not really, just opt into into the youth plan if you are below 25, one standard youth plan

5. Adrian Wong

Oh, sorry, didn't know they had such a plan these days.

Last time I checked, Maxis Hotlink users had to choose between Talk or Text plans. The Talk plan would have cheaper calls but more expensive texts, and vice versa for the Text plan.

6. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

It cost's me 15 cents to send/receive, but I average less than 43 texts a month.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I get unlimited text/mms with my data plan. (it was 10 bucks for the whole family a month)

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Thats cheap :O

I don't have text plan :p already stop the text-ing thing since I came here.

9. Adrian Wong

I never quite get this - why does anyone have to pay to receive SMSes??? It's like paying to receive your mail. :nuts: :think:

10. Adrian Wong

Really? You can live without texting??? :shock: :shock:

Now that I use the iPhone, it's so easy to text and forget how many you are sending... because it's like sending instant messages! :wall:

11. Adrian Wong

That's super cheap!!!

I get free calls and texts between family members on the same plan, but non-family calls and texts are charged RM 0.15 (US$ 0.045) per minute and RM 0.15 (US$ 0.045) per SMS.

I have to pay a minimum of RM 100 (US$ 30) for my iPhone package and RM 30 (US$ 9) for each family member on the Family plan.

12. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

To catch the people who receive, but never reply to texts? or as a quick way to double their income?

Don't complain much as the plan is only $6.67 per month.

When I started the plan they only charged for outgoing texts and it was 5 cents. :evil:

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I get it from their POV. :haha: As long as it makes them money, why not? But what's their justification? What if you did not ask to receive the SMS? For example, SMS from spammers?

5 cents just for sending is alright. But it's ridiculous if they are charging 15 cents to send AND receive. That's 30 cents for each SMS! :nuts: