A good third party firmware for a LINKSYS WRT54GL?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by jamotto, Mar 9, 2010.

1. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

I have bought a WRT54GL and I'm looking for a custom firmware to install on it the allows me to turn down the wifi radio strength as well as other features that the stock firmware lacks. After searching through the forum I see Tomato mentioned a lot, is this still a good firmware? Or is there better ones that have been released? I was also looking at Gargoyle a Openwrt based firmware has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

I don't really need anything fancy, I connect my PC (media server) and my PS3/PSP and that is it. Does any particular firmware work best with the PS3 that is connecting via Wifi?

Thanks for any advice

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

My friend likes Tomato compared to DD-WRT.

I'vr never used Tomato or OpenWRT, only DD WRT and it does allow you to turn down the wireless power.

3. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Thanks, looked at their website and wow the install procedure looks overwhelming! :faint:

They have the Router Database, but in the Peacock thread they say not to use that?

It looks like you flash a Mini-Build required for inital flashing via WEB do you do the 30 30 30 reset for this flash or just for the Standard Generic when you install that?

Is the 30 30 30 reset just exclusive to dd-wrt? or is it a good idea no matter what firmware I decided to flash?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I haven't tried Tomato but I'm really happy with DD-WRT.

Yeah the process was a bit overwhelming for me too... :faint:

But mini build gets flashed then you flash teh full one. They have really good instructions on the site (just read it a few times first before trying).