Please Post All New Or Uncovered BIOS Options Here!

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I haven't see a CDROM emulation for USB before, so I can't say. But are you looking to boot off this "CD"?

2. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

That's exactly what I am trying to do...

3. Adrian Wong

Did you make the USB drive bootable?

4. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

That's not the point. I can boot from USB but want to use an ISO image (without modification) to boot from and without the need to 'burn it' to something.

5. Adrian Wong

Oh, I don't think the BIOS can "mount" ISOs.

6. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

This is why I am wondering what the USB emulation type 'CDROM' is supposed to do. Without explanation it could mean just that, the data from that USB device gets presented to the system as if it came from a CD-ROM drive.

7. Adrian Wong

It probably just makes the USB drive look like it's a CD-ROM drive. If you make it bootable and just copy the files over, it should work like a bootable CD-ROM. But mounting an ISO file is a whole other ballgame.

8. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

We are just guessing here. Where can I really find out what this is supposed to do?

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Pretend a USB Drive is a CD-ROM.

10. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

Exactly, but what does this REALLY mean? Details?

11. Adrian Wong

I think we have already explained. When you set it to CD-ROM, it allows the USB drive to emulate a CD-ROM drive. That means it will appear to the OS and other software as a CD-ROM drive. If it's made bootable, then it will be bootable.

I believe you have this particular problem because you assume that ISO = CD-ROM. No, CD-ROMs are not the same as ISOs. An ISO file is merely an image of the CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM). We usually create ISO files to duplicate the CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) bit for bit.

Coming back to this BIOS option, what does it really mean? Simply put - exactly what it means - it allows the USB flash drive to emulate a CD-ROM.

No, it will not mount ISOs, just as your CD-ROM drive cannot mount ISOs. Put an ISO on a CD and load it in your CD-ROM drive. What do you get? A CD with an ISO file, not the contents of the ISO file.

12. _rp_

_rp_ Newbie

Well, then please do explain how to make that 'CDROM' bootable.

13. mooty

mooty Newbie

Does anyone have some ideas about these BIOS options?

14. Adrian Wong

Make the USB drive bootable and copy over the files that are INSIDE the ISO. Don't just copy the ISO file over to the flash drive.

15. Adrian Wong

I will be working on that soon. Probably in the coming update, or the next one.

16. LFDD@TechARP

LFDD@TechARP Newbie

Hi,

I don't know if it is what you're asking for but here is two uncovered options on the website :

Fast MRC [Enabled - Disabled] : Fast MRC

HDA Controller [Enabled - Disabled] : HDA Controller

Please, feel free to answer if you have any comment...

17. trodas

trodas Newbie

I was driven to this site by THIS comprehensive BIOS settings guide: Tech ARP - The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide

However on the oldschool ASRock 775Dual-VSTA are plenty of options that are not listed anywhere:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I mean specifically these, that I have no clue about them at all:
    AGP Staggered Delay
    AGP GADSTB Output Delay
    AGP 3.0 Calibration - yes, it is really a on the fly calibration and it should be on
    AGP 3.0 DBI Function - Dynamic Bus Inversion Output clean the noise in AGP signal, on
    DBI Output for AGP Trans. - Dynamic Bus Inversion Output clean the noise in AGP signal, on
    DBI Output for FRAME Trans. - Dynamic Bus Inversion Output clean the noise in AGP signal, on
    Pipeline DRQCTL - increase the memory bus bandwitch
    GTL Control
    3V66 group delay
    DRAM Drv DQS
    DRAM Drv CS
    DRAM Drv DCLKA,B
    DCLK Output Duty Ctrl
    CLKBUF DDR group delay
    CLKBUF FB_OUT delay
    CLKBUF DDR Drv
    CLKBUF FB_OUT Drv
    Echo TRP Disable
    PCIE Downstream Pipeline
    PCIE VC1 Request Queue

Plenty of interesting settings, right? Sadly many I cannot find even using Google, what the hell they mean... Could someone experienced enlighten me, please?
    I enabled the Pipeline DRQCTL option and get faster membench in memtest as well, as 1 minute faster times on SuperPi 32M - and that is on Celeron D 336...! So some of the settings could have a great impact. I found the suggestion - NOT description - on this old Massman article: [M] Tweaking the fastest AGP Based System - Part 1

But no more that I described I managed to uncover yet. Any help would come handy ;)

18. Adrian Wong

19. trodas

trodas Newbie

Well, I could only hope that you (sooner or later) find the time. I had to fiddle with these options to get the G.Skill DDR2 800 rams to run stable at wanted tight timings (3-3-3-10), so a better know-how could be great.

After all, the guide is almost complete.

BTW, on MSI PM8M3-V mobo (VIA P4M800 chipset) in in bios, in ram settings, weird setting RDSAIT mode:

[​IMG]

...and then selection. No one was ever able to tell me, what it is. So maybe you can explain that to me...? :wave:

Always is good two write that knowledge down, on the internet, so others could check it out and learn something ;)

20. Adrian Wong

I think that RDSAIT Mode option has been requested before. The trouble is this is a VIA chipset setting, and VIA is extremely secretive about its chipsets (you have to wonder why...). :(