Telco provider recommendation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mikegas, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Am planning to change to Digi Smartplan for smartphone from my not so smart Maxis....

Smartplan have unlimited internet on phone for RM68 and this include access fee right? Sounds like a good deal, but I heard have pay one year lump sum in advance rm68x12?

I did call up maxis ask them if they have similar plan to counter but they don't ..

Any views?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I'm not sure what Smartplan you are referring to, but Digi has an unlimited 3G Internet plan for RM 58 per month. There's a 3 GB monthly quota, but unlike Maxis, they just throttle you to 128 kbps. However, the RM 58 fee is on top of the regular Digi postpaid plan.

3. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

aiya ... i know sure got catch one. .. nothing too good to be truee ..

4. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. But it's still better than Maxis' plan where they CHARGE you RM 5 per MB after you exceed your monthly limit. :mad: :mad:

Worse of all, they will NOT tell you how much you have used until you get your bill. And they always try to cheat you in your bills. I have had to call them almost every month to dispute their billing.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I still think it is a much better than Maxis'.

6. Adrian Wong

I'm not sure about coverage or performance, but as far as price and "fairness" of policies are concerned, DiGi wins hands down.

7. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

It is DONE ... I am turning yellow ...

8. Adrian Wong

I turned a little "yellow" myself today. :haha: :haha:

Well, my maid to be more accurate. Registered a DiGi Campus prepaid account for her this morning. Super cheap IDD call rates to Indonesia. Only 34 sen per minute from 9 pm until 9 am and from 12 pm until 2 pm. :thumb:

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Pretty or not? :wicked:

10. Adrian Wong

My maid?? Really off topic, but you are welcomed to take a look at the next Tech ARP BBQ. :wicked: :wicked:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm... How do smartphones/pdas work in Malaysia?

Thinking of buying my gf one (so it'll cut down on my phone card costs as well as text messages hahaha - if I can call her phone via IM on it or something)... :lol: It's semi relevant because she currently is on Digi (I think - 016 right?).

Is there enough bandwidth on the networks there to "stream" voice over 3G? I've really been spoiled by the abundance of bandwidth here (both home and 3G). :mrgreen:

12. Adrian Wong

She will need a data plan in addition to the usual call plan. If she wants to buy a Blackberry or iPhone, they will usually come bundled with a data plan.

It's good that she's on DiGi. They don't have a bandwidth limit like in Maxis. Sure, they will throttle her at Edge speeds but it beats getting cut off completely.

If her smartphone can support Skype, you can call her via Skype. It's okay to do it on DiGi, but she may run out of bandwidth on Maxis.

Just to give you an idea of how much bandwidth we are talking about, Maxis offers 500 MB of bandwidth for RM 58 per month. That's not a lot.

But if she usually talks to you at home, then you may not even need the data plan. As long as the smartphone supports WiFi, she can use WiFi to call you on Skype.

13. Chai

Bandwidth is not the main issue I think, the latency is. That has been one of the biggest problem in Malaysia.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Anybody know what the 3G frequencies are in Malaysia (for Digi). Anyone have any links to like an online store there (where I can see prices)? Wondering if something like a Touch HD2 will work with Digi over there. In the US, we use all the weird shit frequencies that no one else uses :roll: (like my Touch Pro 2 won't work with other carrier's 3G frequencies). It's alot more consistent in Europe and Asia.

Sorry to semi hijack your thread Mikegas... :beer:

15. Chai

We don't have to worry about that here. All phones will work just find on any providers.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Holy hell PDAs are expensive in Malaysia! :faint:

Touch HD2 in US "out of contract" = $450 USD. In Malaysia its like RM2300! :faint: :wall:

I don't mind the US being "slow" when there's a ~$250 USD difference in price... :boohoo:

Guess my budget needs increasing... :p

17. Adrian Wong

You can check out DiGi's plan here - 3G Internet

I wouldn't worry about the 3G frequency. All 3G phones will work with all providers here.

You can buy a Touch HD2 in the US and use it in Malaysia, as long as it's based on GSM and not CDMA.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  18. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Well, let me say this. AVOID MAXSUX as all cost. I just got charged the maximum RM250 extra charge for overusing the dataplan by 100MB. A mistake on my part for not checking on my usage but DAMN it's easy to overuse when you tether the 3G connection. STUPID maxis even wants to charge me RM5 for the detailed printout on my daily data usage if I want to check it. Come 26 Jun 2011 when my contact ends, BYE BYE MAXIS, Hello YELLOW!

19. Adrian Wong

Hey Ken,

Dispute it!!! That's what I did.

They sent me a nice print-out saying that I used xxx KB of data for each and every day. I just told them, if you don't show me the list of websites I visited, how the heck do I know you are not bullshitting me? I mean, seriously, if I only surf the web, how can I burn so much?

After arguing with them several times, they finally gave you because they cannot give me a list of websites I visited. They originally wanted to charge me RM 40+ for just over 8 MB of overage. That's RM 5 per MB. Nuts. :hand:

That's the thing... We are all stuck to the contract. Sigh... Maxis sucks. Not only because they charge ridiculously high fees for overages, but because they have a very high tendency to "miscalculate" the bill. I have had to call them up to dispute my bill every month or so. It's crazy. :hand: