My experience with Unifi!

Discussion in 'Chai' started by Chai, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I've just got Unifi installed 2 weeks ago. It's Malaysia's first fiber optic home broadband service.

There are various packages offered for home use, VIP5, VIP10, and VIP20 (5Mbps, 10Mbps, 20Mbps). Although it's claimed as "High Speed Broadband", it is still "Low Speed" when compared with other developed countries in Asia Pacific.

Due to the fact that it's only 20Mbps for the 'premier' package, there's no real need for fiber optic. Unifi uses 2 different technologies depending on location. If no fiber optic is available in your area, they will use the existing copper line (VDSL), usually applicable for high rise buildings.

For my case, I live in a terrace house, and fiber optic is available, therefore, they will use fiber optic broadband termination unit (BTU), aka modem for the layman. I'm not from a network background, and there are many things I've yet to discover. Your existing modem router may not work with the BTU as we've discovered as it requires support for VLAN.

This package also includes a VOIP DECT phone, a set top box with HDMI output for viewing TV programs (2 HD channels only I think), and a cheap Aztech wifi-N router with 100Mbps switch. Although it uses PPPoE connection, but you can't just use your old router and expect it to work.

Enough of the technical stuff. So how's the speed like? For a VIP5 package, the speed is excellent most of the time. Streamyx seems like 56k dial up in comparison. Youtube 720P can be streamed without stopping. Most downloads are hitting the bandwidth limit of 500-600KB/sec. And most important of all, it seems to handle 4-5 PCs without noticeable slow downs.

Uploading is even more impressive! It seems that upload speed is not capped at certain times, managing to hit 40mbps!

Overall, I'm quite happy with what Unifi has to offer. Currently, they are giving promotions with free installation (up to 12 hours of installation work!). For the price you pay for 4MB streamyx, I think Unifi is an unbeatable deal.

But would I pay for 20Mb connection at RM250? That's a completely different story.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sigh... Your report makes me very sad... :(

I'm just 2-3 km away from you but there's no Unifi where I live. :(

Sob sob... :(

3. Chai

On international sites, it's difficult to hit 300+KB consistently. So having more than 5Mb is useless IMO. Although it's possible to stream Youtube HD most of the time, but when it's congested, just be happy with the normal 360p. :mrgreen:

Unless you are sharing files among local friends, 20Mb is the most unappealing deal, unless the bandwidth cap is implemented.

4. Adrian Wong

The trouble is there is very little local content that requires high bandwidth... unless you are talking about local BitTorrent peers. :haha:

In any case, the higher upload capability is very nice. My ADSL connection is still stuck with a 384 kbps upload. Takes forever for me to send photos and small vids to my friends and family members.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

5MBps can only be used locally :haha:

I have 15MBps connection here, whenever i surf Malaysian sites, slow like shit. :shhh:

6. Chai

So 5Mbps is more than enough. Forget about the higher bandwitdh package. Waste of money.

7. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Ok .. i signed up .. I'll held you accountable for any of my woes later ..

8. Chai

Yes, I will take full responsibility for all damages including your pocket. :liar:

9. Adrian Wong

Lucky you!!!!

10. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Got it already .. :) my internet laggy days are gone even the office internet feels slow now .. :) .. one thing I forgot though .. my house alarm need to tap the phone line ... arrgh ..I have to pull the line to the 'china' optical modem .. -.-"

11. Chai

I don't think you will regret it. Download is really a lot faster. I doubt many people will upgrade to unifi so soon since it's quite expensive. So enjoy while it lasts!

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

the fact that 5mbps Unifi is CHEAPER than my 4mbps streamyx makes me wanna puke at TM. Sheesh!

13. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Unifi also include of phone rental since they use voip .. foc local line calls :) ... can't say much bout the iptv, just watch one VOD prince and the frog cartoon.. other then tat not much show

14. Chai

IPTV is not bad, only the lack of interesting channels is making it rather useless.

15. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

hmm.. i got problem with my VOIP ... always disconnect after a day, then I need to reset the cinapek optical modem .. do you have the same problem?

16. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Unifi in my area where I'm now staying (Kepong) will be there only on 2nd half of this year.

Wished I could have one here at my house! :D

17. Adrian Wong

I'm getting Unifi too!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

They just launched Unifi registration for Mutiara Damansara!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Not sure when they will actually install, but it should be in July! :dance: :dance:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

How do you watch the programs?

web login? or tm delivers it via a desktop app?

19. Chai

Watch it thru a set top box, like Astro. It uses a separate VLAN from the normal internet line.

That STB is plugged directly to the TV via HDMI. There's a remote for it also.

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I don't think i'll even have unifi here :(...fastest internet speed available here is 1mb :wall: