What's up with Toyota?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ishtim, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

No, not TechARP member ToyotaFreak, :lol: but the auto manufacturer? I just heard on the radio that they are recalling 1 million + cars due to leaking master cylinders that are a major part of the braking system. I just saw on the news that this affects cars in Singpore too... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Toyota??? :faint: People are still talking about the sticking gas pedal saga and now this? :nuts: Anyone have one of these vehicles? :pray:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

This is why I will never own a toyota. :mrgreen:

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I thought they have solved that pedal-brake issue? The one with the automatic, electronically-controlled one?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Should I still consider Caldina? :lol:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

despite all the news malaysian still love toyota for resale value lol

6. Chai

The problem is because our Toyotas here are always low spec-ed, so it is probably not affected by the electronic issues. :haha:

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

different supplier, different manufacturer, different this and that so toyota here are not affected in any way

come tot think so many recall we here are most time not included..testament to the high quality of product here lol!

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The article comments that:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, Toyota used to offer great value for money - delivering very well-built and very reliable cars at affordable prices. Unfortunately, in recent years, they seemed to have taken down the quality a couple of notches.

Frankly, I have not been impressed by their models since I started looking for a car around 2004-2005. IMHO, Korean cars now offer better value for money and arguably better technology and better quality too. Just look at the latest Hyundai Sonata YF and Kia Forte.

As far as these recalls are concerned, I think their past is catching up with them. They obviously cut corners when it came to the quality of the parts used in their cars and it's payback time now... :mad:

10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:whistle: I remember they were reducing the sound proofing of their cars at one time. :whistle:

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, and I remember that some Altis owners had to add their own sound proofing! :nuts:

12. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I agree that Korean cars are gaining popularity. It is common to see Kia and Hyundai and some Daewoo, but I think that it's part of GM now. Suprisingly, Honda sells really well despite haveing only 3 year warranty as opposed to some others having 5 or 10 year deals.

13. Adrian Wong

You guys are lucky to get 5 to 10 year warranties. Until recently, most of our cars only come with 1 year warranty! :wall: :wall:

IMHO, Toyota had a good thing going on last time, but they got cocky and sloppy. Perhaps a little greedy too. They decided to cut corners, and now, it has come back to bite them. :roll:

Can't say they don't deserve it. I just hope they learn from this and start putting quality above profits.

14. Chai

Adding sound proofing is nothing unusual. Some people wants more than what the car can offer, especially for sound systems.

Are you sure? I thought most cars have 3 years warranty at least? I know Nissan do.

15. Adrian Wong

No la.. This is unusual because previous generations of Toyota Altis had much better sound proofing. I tried driving the Altis (previous model) and it was pretty noisy. I wasn't surprised that folks have had to add sound proofing.

Hehe.. I meant "until recently". Only recently have I see 3-5 year warranties, and even so, some 5-year warranties only apply to the engine and gearbox (e.g. Hyundai). AFAIK, most (if not all) local models only came with 1 year warranty in the past.

16. Chai

I remember my old Nissan was already 3 years warranty. Not sure about other brands.

Which previous generation are you refering to? Isn't Altis a 'new' brand? If you are refering to the previous gen, isn't that the first gen? Where is your reference point?

Altis is a compact sedan car, so it will not have the level of sound proofing as some other bigger cars.

My colleague owns the previous gen Altis, very high miler, 7 years old, and he loves it. No major problems yet, reliable. Planning to stay with it beyond 10 years.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  17. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Maybe should start to go with Hyundai .... check out the new Tuscon and Sonata .. wow .. very luxurious interior.. dual panoramic-roof, push start button, dual DVVT, power seats, 5 yrs warranty at reasonable price...

Honda, toyota going down the drain... have you heard of the Civic 1.8 engine block crack? Altis with the CVT transmission, i phobia ...

18. Chai

I still don't trust Korean cars. Bring on continental cars!

19. Adrian Wong

I only tested the previous generation. That was when I started looking for my own car. I only read about the reports from various car forums when I was researching about the Altis. The owners were talking about how they had to add sound proofing.

When I test drove it, I thought it was not quiet enough either. Maybe I was already influenced by the reports, but even my cousin who bought an Altis thought about adding sound proofing. I must ask him if he actually did it.

I don't know. I never liked the Altis. Too big to be a compact car, and too small to comfortably fit 5 adults, and not refined enough. I would rather get a small car, or a big one, but not between.

20. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I test-drove the Sonata recently. Pretty good actually, and it's one of the only two cars (other than the BMW 5 series) to actually get 5 stars in the new NCAP safety tests.

The only things I don't like about it are the shades for the sunroof (they are just polyester blinds!), and the fact that only the engine and gearbox are covered by the 5 year warranty. The rest of the car is only covered by a 3 year warranty.

BTW, unless you absolutely must have an SUV, the Sonata is better. The Tucson is just the SUV version of the Sonata - same engine, and almost the same features. So the Tucson will have poorer performance and fuel efficiency than the Sonata.