What's a good GPS nav system to get?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I'm thinking of buying a GPS navigation system for my father and myself later this month. I think there's some kind of electronics fair at KLCC this Dec. 10-12.

Been trying out a Papago model but it's not really good. The screen's hard to view in daylight and I cannot even find key landmarks like the Kuala Lumpur International Airport! It also seems to take a while to connect to the satellites, sometimes requiring a restart to get it working.

Aside from the hardware, which GPS system would allow me to easily add maps of other countries? Which offers the best maps and/or more frequent updates?

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks!

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I would prefer the casual Garmin, though it's bit more expensive, but it's pretty good and easy to use.

The time to connect the satelites depend on the area where you are driving. On times the detection of the satelites take some time. Of course it wouldn't work when the thing is indoors.

But for my Garmin GPS, the only problem is the map is not up to date, despite how many times I had updated it from the Garmin website. It is already the latest one, but some or many locations have changed.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Top 2 will be either TomTom or Garmin.

I use TomTom and I like it.

If you have a smart phone with data plan you could try to use like Google Map? Not sure if iPhone has it but android phones can use Google Map Navigation. Not too sure if it works in Malaysia

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Well like Uncle chai always says..Garmin is the best :D...nothing can match it though. But i would prefer getting a unit that runs window ce and that enables you to put many different gps apps like what Karhoe is still doing (i think)He's using Sensonic P5800 if not mistaken.or something like that.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need to get 3rd party maps from My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project. They are far superior to the stock Garmin maps.

Lacus's suggestion is good, if you like to to play around, especially since it is based on Win CE.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Still can't decide which mobile to get though :p...any ideas, chai XD...

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. hardware-wise, I just need the GPS chip to lock on in a reasonable amount of time, and a good screen. The Papago screen is not only hard to read in daylight, it is also rather insensitive to touch. I have to literally press my finger into the screen for it to register. :nuts:

As for the software portion, I just want to be able to add and update maps. So, will Garmin or any other GPS devices allow me to update using 3rd party maps?

BTW, I have the iPhone and Google Maps work well, but it's hard to use it to navigate while driving (no voice instructions!) and it requires a data connection, so it won't work overseas unless I pay roaming charges.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

technically, i would suggest getting those cheap gps thats runs win ce will do (usually from china)

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Are you wanting handheld only? I have used DeLorme products for years but not sure if international maps are as good as the ones for N.America.

So when are you coming to visit me & Trin? :thumb:

10. Chai

LOL! That's because you are too used to capacitive screen. :haha: Try using your nails.

11. zy

:mrgreen: Android have voice instruction. but i really do hope there's offline version of the map. cant always get cellphone signal everywhere right? lol

12. Chai

That is part of the Google Map 5's feature. Let's hope and pray. But Garmin's offline is still far superior, especially in terms of 1 way street, U-turn junctions.

13. Adrian Wong

No point buying "branded" GPS devices from the likes of Garmin?

14. Adrian Wong

No, I'm just looking to use it when I'm driving. But practically all GPS nav devices have built-in batteries and can be used handheld as well.

Hehe.. I'm planning to visit the US again one day. Will be sure to pick up a radar/laser detector while I'm there!!! :twisted:

PS. Speaking of speeding tickets, which is more accurate - the GPS speed reading or the speedometer? The Papago GPS I borrowed from Jenny's brother says my car is always 10 km/h slower than what my speedometer says, so I decided to move up 10 km/h faster. Well, that got me a speeding ticket soon after that! :wall:

15. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. That's true. I found that sometimes Google Maps would ask me to take a turning that does not exist.

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Oh yeah, don't go by the GPS speed... what it's displaying is an "old" or last measurement using a prediction algorithm called a Kalman Filter.

Google search on Kalman Filter

17. zy

No idea, try another GPS. Maybe the speed camera's calibration is off. I know my gps and speedometer are within 3mph difference.

Really? I think all GPS systems are like that. Road changes too much for GPS. :nuts:

18. Adrian Wong

I guess that's true. On the way to Melaka recently, the Papago unit just asked me to make a U-turn where there's none! :haha: :haha:

19. Chai

I know for MFM Malaysia map, it recommends you to disable U-Turn detection to avoid such problems.

20. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Using MFM maps + Garmin with my old Nokia phone as GPS device. Service me well when I was in Spore except one time when it was cloudy, I could not get signal at all ...