Yes! Broadband

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 16, 2010.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Heard that it's coming soon on 19th November.

I just got a free 300MB bandwidth and a Yes account because I am in the involved higher learning institutions.

However, one thing here, any one knows how 4G works? They claimed that no SIM cards are ever used.

So, what should I put into the modem when I got one? Or I just type the password and the username according to the settings? :whistle: :think:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I just heard about it too.. and yes, it looks like they are giving away 300 MB of bandwidth to students but only for the first 3 years.

The thing is they aren't saying much about how it all works, or what the actual plans would cost. The only thing I know is they are going to charge according to your usage.

3. The_YongGrand

They going to announce it on 19th. Let's just see what happened. :whistle:

Actually I got the Yes login and stuff from the student email, but however I've already graduated. My brother got it too, but he is working and studying as a postgraduate student. Strange... but gotta try it if I have the modem. :haha:

4. Adrian Wong

Yeah, will definitely be interested to see how they are going to charge for usage.

5. Adrian Wong

The details are out :

Is it worth it? Hmm... I don't quite think so, at least not for me. For very light users, I think it's great. You only pay for what you use, but if you use quite a lot of data, it's pretty expensive.

6. The_YongGrand

It is good for very very light surfing, or short-term surfing on the go.

However, many would-be users are not happy due to they can't watch movies and other stuff, while the connection is not geared towards to these activities. :haha:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is very similar to the mobile broadband packages offered by Maxis, Celcom or Digi. Definitely not a streamyx or unifi alternatives.

8. The_YongGrand

I just purchased my Yes! Go modem last week. The connection has a maximum of 300~500kb/s, as tested.

The thing is, the charges are still expensive, with 9ยข per 3MB of data.

My Yes! account also has a telephone number inside, and there is a utility to make phone calls on it. I hadn't tried that anyway.

Thankfully I have a free, 300MB bandwidth account per month because my university is one of the participating members of the programme. It's not much, but it's a pretty good backup connection if ever the Streamyx went down. :)

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:think: Not too sure.

I know both GSM and CDMA network in US are starting to offer 4G.

10. The_YongGrand

Fortunately it doesn't need the SIM card for the dongle. I just keyed in the username and password in the dialing software provided and it's all good to go! :)

11. Chai

So it's a kind of soft phone?

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. In that case, the dongle should be tied to the Yes network, right? Not a good thing, IMHO...

13. The_YongGrand

Too bad, yeah the dongle is only exclusively for Yes. :faint:

14. Chai

But seriously, all other networks bundle the dongle together, and there's no option not to take the dongle. So if you are looking to save some cash, I think it is not possible.

15. Adrian Wong

Not really. You can opt not to buy the dongle or MiFi from Maxis / DiGi when you subscribe for their broadband packages, and even if you do, you can swap out the SIM card in the dongle/MiFi and switch to a different provider at any time... except Yes.

The Yes dongle and MiFi are essentially locked devices... You either use them with the Yes network, or none other. Isn't that against the law...? :think:

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

do they cap ur download?

17. Adrian Wong

They don't cap any downloads, but it's not because they are generous... it's because they charge you per KB of data downloaded. The more you download, the more you pay. :D