KIS 2011 & windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by k44k, Jan 10, 2011.

1. k44k

k44k Newbie

Does any Windows 7 user experience pc lag when using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011?

Mine intermittently slows down : (

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

No idea. I dont use any antivirus softwares. All of them lags the PCs. :lol:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Never tried Kaspersky yet. But it shouldn't cause any significant lag to your PC. I've been running Symantec Antivirus so far and don't have much problem with it. However, it's pretty crappy as far as anti-virus software go. I believe Kaspersky is much superior to Symantec.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I've used the Kaspersky from 2009-2010. It's pretty good, but it slows down the Windows startup.

Nowadays I'm back to using the Avast! (And I like listening to the sexy female announcer voice - "Virus definitions have been updated!")

5. omegadoom13

omegadoom13 Newbie

Sorry. I'm running ESET. My computer slows down a little when I'm browsing while running a virus scan in the background.. but I kinda expect that. I've turned off most of the fancy features that make windows pretty... i prefer performance over appearance; i'm an impatient person :)

oh yeah, try defragging your hard drive. might speed things up

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I use Microsoft Security Essentials... :)

Free for legit copies of Windows (7, Vista, XP too I think). Light footprint, does a pretty decent job of scanning for threats, and did I mention free? :mrgreen:

Its a stripped down version of Forefront essentially but retains a lot of good features (not missing features that home users need - auto updates, scheduled scans, etc).

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's what I'm using too. :thumb:

8. Adrian Wong

Maybe I should switch. My Symantec is getting really old in the tooth.

9. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I used NOD32 in the past, but it annoyed me on occasion due to bugs (sometimes wouldn't run correctly at startup, for example). I switched to MSE and so far so good.

10. zy

That's the only antivirus i would install. :angel:

11. Adrian Wong

No faith in third party providers? :wicked:

12. k44k

k44k Newbie

I tried NOD32 in the past but I had some problems with browsing some sites.

Tried Avast free and didnt encounter any problems.

Maybe will try Norton after my Kaspersky license expires.

13. Adrian Wong

You should skip Norton. It's basically the same thing as Symantec, just bloated. So you would end up with a weak AV that sucks on your resources.

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not bothered to pay would be the most accurate reason. :haha:

15. Adrian Wong

Well, I sometimes receive free copies of AV software but never bothered to try them. LOL! Probably cause I would have to keep renewing the licenses after that.

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I thought Symantec = Norton ?

17. zy

No faith :lol:

True also :lol: I don't want to pay for something that slows down my PC :lol:

Norton is by Symantec

Norton = home
    Symantec = office/enterprise.

Norton is bloated with fancy GUI/features compared to Symantec line.

18. Adrian Wong

zy is correct. Norton AV is basically Symantec AV for home users, and is bloated with all the fancy GUI and useless features.

Unfortunately, both use the same AV algorithms and signatures and are pretty useless. Lots of false positives too.

19. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

You remembered the Norton CrashGuard supplied in that Norton SystemTools and AV? I don't know but they never fix crashes, only leading to more of them! :haha:

20. Adrian Wong

LOL! I never bothered to use those software. Luckily too, it seems! :haha: