OCZ

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by jay cee, Jan 21, 2011.

1. jay cee

jay cee Newbie

SSD will be huge this year, WDC and STX had very tepid earnings on lower demand for pc hard drives. So I added more OCZ stock. Even I am interested in going SSD and I stopped building pc's 10 years ago after I closed my business.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, earnings are lower because HDD manufacturers have not been able to expand beyond 2 TB, until recently. With Sandy Bridge out, 3 TB and beyond will be possible.

SSDs are still limited at the moment by cost and capacity limitations.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not entirely true. OCZ is making tons of money from the SSD series that they are not going to continue selling RAMs anymore.

4. jay cee

jay cee Newbie

exactly, the main issues going forward are hard drives are an old tech. Flash memory is what large companies will goto . I remember going to Comdex where they 1st had flash memory, I think it was M data before Sandisk bought them. It was so long ago but I was amazed that the price was something like $1k US per gig of flash memory, today you can get it for $30-$40 US even cheaper on sale. The same will be for the SSD products. This is the future, I've been managing money for 20 yrs and this is the best investment I have seen since Apple Cree and and Netflix

5. Adrian Wong

Err.. I didn't say that SSD manufacturers aren't making money off SSDs. It is definitely the future. Obviously, lots of folks are going to SSDs because that's where the money is, other than the fact that it is also technically less demanding than HDD manufacturing. But that doesn't mean there isn't a market for hard disk drives either.

Right now, the HDD industry is limited by the fact that other than WD's 3 TB solution, all HDDs are stuck at 2 TB. Prices of HDDs are always under pressure to head south, so yeah, their earnings will keep going lower unless they can get higher capacity drives out.

6. Adrian Wong

SSDs are definitely the future, but it will still take a few years before their capacity increase enough and their prices drop enough to realistically replace HDDs as the main storage option.

Right now, capacity is so limited and costs are so high that even enthusiasts would only use SSDs as the boot drive, running their operating systems and applications off that drive, while leaving the bulk of their files on HDDs.