Which router supports loopback?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Jan 19, 2011.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Oh, on default settings my DD-WRT router does the same.

I went to Security/Firewall

-- Block WAN Requests --
    uncheck WAN NAT redirection

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Understood that DDWRT can do it but I'm afraid my client would not be comfortable using 3rd party firmwares, any routers that supports loopback out of the box?

3. zy

I think under the stock firmware, it has the capabilities of NAT redirection. Let me check my friends router when I have the chance.

Edit:
    I think most Linksys should have this loopback option.

To be safe, you would have to get those "business-class" routers.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I think Linksys has it. I will to switch to My Linksys router one day. It used to work on my old Linksys router., although it's a SOHO range.

5. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I guess so, I'm using 3Com OfficeConenct router, specifically mentioned 'Office'. Is there any more 'technical' term that the manufacturer may have used to describe 'loopback' ?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is this NAT?

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it's also known as NAT Redirection.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Ok, alternatively, is there a way for me to configure the DNS on the router so that all requests to the WAN address automatically routes to the LAN IP ?

9. Adrian Wong

I think you will have to host a DNS server on the network and direct your router to use it.

10. zy

This, and won't the PCs be caching the internal IP?

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, I thought of this method also, to edit the host file manually, but when they bring the laptop home it will not work anymore.

So for sure I need one router which supports loopback. Last resort I will settle with DDWRT (which one is the recommended one btw?)

12. Adrian Wong

What do you mean, recommended? Just use the DD-WRT version recommended for your router. Be sure to check the router version because the same model may have 2-3 different versions.

13. zy

Or just get a linksys router :cool:

14. Adrian Wong

I don't think Linksys routers support loopback. He will probably have to get enterprise-grade routers from Cisco, etc.

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Oh well, I know for sure my 3Com office connect supports loopback, not sure about newer models.

DD-WRT supports loopback for sure right

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Crap, a powerful lightning just fried both my modem and router, both which served faithfully, reliably since 2004.

Now I need a replacement and I really need the loopback feature. So any model to suggest?

Cheers

17. zy

I just checkbky friend's stock wrt54g. It has the internet LAN redirect feature.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

The stock WRT54G is crap ! Adrian is using E2000 Linksys right? That doesn't have this feature?

I was thinking, since the router died, I might as well change to a Gigabit N router.

Btw I hated myself that both the router and modem got fried. I saw that it was raining and I juz pulled out the telephone cable slightly, enough to make the modem 'dc', I never expected that the lightning still manage to fry the modem AND the router OMG.

19. Adrian Wong

No, I'm using the Linksys WRT-320N, but that can be hacked to become a E2000, which is really just a rebadged WRT-320N.

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Btw, guess what, the lightning actually fried dozens of modems in my neighbourhood as well as the NEXT neighbourhood.

My friends were asking me for spare modems LOL