Which router supports loopback?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by karhoe, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, it's mostly marketing segmentation. Even the very old WRT54G is capable of loopback, so I don't think the hardware is the issue.

The newer consumer-grade routers most certainly have this loopback feature disabled merely to avoid enterprise users from opting for these "cheaper" models. Sure, you can hack them if you are an end-user, but enterprise users wouldn't.

So, yes, E2000 + DDWRT will enable loopback. But then again, so will almost any Linksys router and many other routers from other companies.

Well, what's most important is actual performance. The internal antenna actually works pretty well. It doesn't necessarily mean external antennas are better. Some people just prefer it because they want to swap the original antennas for high-gain antennas.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

They are still selling the old stock WRT610N which is more than 2 years old. It is not even the v2. So they are definitely not bringing in E3000. Remember that press release that they are selling E2000?

3. Adrian Wong

Yes, I don't think they are bringing in the E3000.

In fact, when I bought my WRT320N, there was a Linksys promotion and the E3000 was not listed as an available model.

BTW, the E1000 and E2000 were listed as available.. but the E2000 was not "physically" available when I went there. Probably came later.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I know WRT54G was once a con job, came out with a damn reputable model, then toned down in subsequent versions by slashing off the ROM and RAM, E2000 got no such nonsense right.

If everything goes well, I'll grab one by end of this week. What about 'ADSL modem?' I know any cheap one would do, but just need one that can survive long hours.

5. Chai

If you have done enough research, you should know that there are other 'replacement' models like the WRT54GL etc. It was toned down for costs. If the price still remained after all these years, would you still buy it? I know I may, but most people wouldn't.

Personally, I'm happy with Linksys, they make some of the best consumer grade routers.

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I only can say.. Belkin sucks :mrgreen:

7. Chai

Yup, Belkin truly sucks. Had one, and definitely the last one.

Packaging is good, but the "content" is bad. It is not even Dlink level.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Looks like I'm pretty settled with the router, now is the DSL modem LOL

9. Adrian Wong

Any DSL modem would work, IMHO.

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

At least give some which is 'proven' LOL, like you told me your Billian one won't stand long hours.

11. Chai

Er... Aztech? Do you really have that much choice?

12. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Aztech, Zyxel, Billion, De-Link, I mean D-Link, Linksys, Asus, TP-Link, Level One, and so on

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Motorola :oops:

Opps, thats my cable modem, but runs solid for 3 years now. :oops:

Unlike the Aztech router/model at home which is the 3rd one already (no idea if my dad replace it again)

14. Chai

Can you actually buy those, like Billion, Zyxel?

Since your question is about modem, not router modem, do Linksys, Asus, TP-Link make standalone modems?

Sorry, TP Link does have standalone modem, but can you actually buy them here? Seriously, do some research first before asking us what to buy. Are you going to held us responsible if you make the wrong choice? I have very good experience with Aztech, but zy doesn't. I know Aztech makes good modem, not modem/routers. That's why I have 5 different network devices at home.

It's like asking us, I want to buy a car. But not telling us what's your budget, size, prefered makes, type.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I'm not too sure, but I didn't disclose budget for modem because modem prices are pretty standard right, the variance wouldn't run high.

My point is, if you guys have been using a reliable modem, it would be great if I can know what you guys been using, that's all - and no, no one will be held responsible.......

16. Chai

Personally, I had very good experience withe Aztech modems (not the router combo type), from the first gen Streamyx included one, to the one I bought myself about a year ago, 605E or something like that.

They are perfect for 24/7 use, and they are dirt cheap, like RM50 nowadays? So I didn't really care anymore.

17. Adrian Wong

Well, I was pointing out that even a crappy Chinese-made Billion modem (provided by the most-generous of ISPs, TM) is able to stand hours of almost non-stop operation inside my hot and stuff TV cabinet.

Yes, it does quit on me once or twice a month, but considering that it's such a cheap piece of crap, that's pretty reliable operation. That was roughly about the same level of performance as the Aztech modem that TM provided me previously.

That's why I said any modem would do, if you are using a separate router. I don't think any particular model would make that much of a difference in reliability. They should all work well if you keep them well-ventilated.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi guys, bought Linksys E2000 today and it has loopback feature, problem solved !

19. Chai

Cool, that's with the default firmware? How come I can't find it in my E3000? Hmm...

What is the name of the feature?

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yeap, default firmware !

Under Security -> Filter Internet NAT redirction, make sure that is unticked. :beer: