Explosion At The Nuclear Power Plant In Fukumi, Japan

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Some idiot started sending out this fake SMS to everyone today :

The bad grammar and spelling aside, this SMS is full of nonsense.

1. There is no nuclear plant in Fukumi. In fact, as far as I can tell (on Google Maps), there is no such place as Fukumi in Japan!

2. The nuclear plant that is having trouble cooling down its reactors is the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

3. Two of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant's reactor buildings have already exploded - one on Saturday (Reactor 1) and one on Monday (Reactor 3). So there was not just one explosion. There was TWO explosions.

4. In both cases, it was caused by an explosive mix of hydrogen, oxygen and heat from the reactors. In both cases, only the walls and ceilings of the reactor buildings were blown away. The reactors themselves were not damaged by the blast.

5. The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant uses a completely different design from Chernobyl. It's a boiling water reactor (BWR). Chernobyl used the more dangerous RBMK (graphite moderated reactor) technology. So the Japanese reactors are not going to explode like Chernobyl, and nuclear scientists have said so.

6. Even if it somehow explodes like Chernobyl, any radioactive fallout will follow wind currents and will take days, if not weeks, to spread. In other words, it's not going to be raining down on you tomorrow... :roll:

7. Acid rain has nothing to do with nuclear fallout. We get acid rain all the time due to air pollution. As bad as acid rain is, it has not been proven to burn the skin, cause you to lose your hair or give you skin cancer.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Sound like f***me. :haha:

This is one idiotic SMS. They even got the timing wrong.

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

It's a race on who can start the latest spams.....

I'm just sad that this incident would really affect the future of fission power.

Fukushima Power plant was built in the 70s, newer power plant like Onagawa are fine.

And current INES is level 4, to be what the SMS indicate it would have to be level 7 which will be Chernobyl.

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yeah. some idiot spreading humor again...

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

6. Chai

Wow, thrid explosion just happened. Looks like all the reactor is going to blow up at least once.

7. sheva

sheva Newbie

just copy from other web

Today Japan's nuclear authorities warned that the quake occurred at Fukushima nuclear power plant No. 1, about 250 kilometers north of Tokyo, "may be faced with nuclear disaster," according to media reports. Philippines is safe, in fact, known as radiation Fukumi nuclear plant explosion in Japan. There will be no effect on us, but our government agencies are always listening situations for the council to do. Moreover, this incident can not be compared with the Chernobyl disaster occurred in Ukraine in April 1986 because experts say that unlike the nuclear reactor in Japan. What we do is keep quiet and not draw conclusions about the new support accurate and reliable. Do not panic and believe in the text of the alerts that are spread over an explosion of the nuclear power Fukumi in Japan is actually Fukushima.

Health news today about the nuclear explosion that is really a big shock to world, if the rain falls then all of us must wear our own raincoats when going outside to avoid the raindrops fall directly to our skin. Wear boots, pants, long sleeve dress and raincoats for our safety, One drop is a serious case so be careful and have a big concern to our health.

8. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Many news outlets (especially in US) are spreading mis-information. Now oil prices & RAM availability is being affected WTH?

These Generation 2 reactors are designed to contain overheating and release steam that is indeed radioactive, but it is localized at the reactor and is no more harmful than a dental x-ray or airplane flight. As long as the containment vessels hold, radiation releases will be kept to a minimum.

9. Adrian Wong

This is the kind of hoax that's causing people from even halfway around the world to panic unnecessarily over the Fukushima nuclear plant crisis. :wall:

In fact, here's another :

10. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I hope your right.:pray:

Just might stock up on a years worth of canned tuna just in case. I'm not sure if it comes from the Pacific ocean, but if it does... Then I'll pass for a few years.:shifty:

11. Adrian Wong

I received this reply earlier today :

And this was what I replied :

12. Adrian Wong

13. Trinity

FishWatch - Atlantic Skipjack Tuna

My favorite tuna comes from the Pacific ocean...:doh:

"Skipjack are primarily sold as "canned light" tuna but are also sold fresh or frozen. Almost all of the U.S. catch comes from the Pacific, namely Hawaii. Much of it is exported to foreign markets. The United States imports the majority of the fresh and frozen skipjack tuna we eat, mainly from Mexico, South Korea, and Ecuador."

Time to stock up.

14. Chai

Yeah, I saw some replies from the chain email, but I decided not to reply since I don't know most of them.

There is indeed a chance for meltdown, but until it really happens, stop spreading such rumours.

I read some news today, in Tokyo, there's unhealthly level of radiation detected.

15. Adrian Wong

Here's a new one :

:wall: :wall: :wall:

For the record, Reuters reported that the French embassy in Tokyo said that "weak radioactive contamination could reach Tokyo in 10 hrs from stricken nuclear plant". Well, Tokyo has also reported slightly elevated radiation levels, but it is still far from being dangerous enough to ask people to stay indoors or evacuate the city.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  16. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

DYKT: I've a few of friends and colleagues with family members or friends currently residing in Tokyo. It seems that ppl are still going about as per normal in Tokyo, working and all. So, here's the thing. Granted, there's somewhat a lack of communication from the authorities there on the actual issue. Official statements are scattered and not detailed. BUT if people in Tokyo are not running away and panicking, why should we need to?

If you read the article posted by ZY, even water vapour that's been activated by the 'runaway' neutrons are also described as radioactive. BUT once dispersed out, it decays into inert gas.... so yes, the explosion did occur, but i believe till today, the core containment is still intact. explosions are all caused by the hydrogen buildup which the lack of information is not telling us exactly where and why. most reports are guesstimates based on the images and video footages of the incident. So yes. I think this is fear mongering at it's worst. Sigh.

17. Trinity

18. Chai

Actually, since the latest reactor no. 2 blowup, there has been reports of higher than normal radiation level in Tokyo.

19. Adrian Wong

Yes, the radiation level has roughly doubled in Tokyo, but we also need to realize that we also get a higher dose when we fly (on airplanes) and when we climb mountains. At the moment, it doesn't seem to be dangerous enough for the people in Tokyo to even stay indoors.

Also, we need to differentiate between the types of radiation. Alpha particles, for example, cannot penetrate the skin and be stopped by a single piece of paper. So these particles are not dangerous unless ingested or inhaled.

On the other hand, we have gamma radiation which would pass through us, and require thick lead or concrete shielding to block. Needless to say, gamma radiation is more dangerous than alpha particles.

20. Adrian Wong

Here is yet another report on these SMS hoaxes :

I think quite a number of people are feeling particularly stupid right now. :haha: :haha: