Desktop or Laptop?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chai, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Primary Workstation: Desktop or laptop?

1. Desktop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Laptop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

is netbook dying brred nowdays? many would just buy the pads :mrgreen:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think the netbook killed itself. :haha:

At first, it was a really good idea, but eventually, it forced notebook manufacturers to drop prices of regular laptops to the point it would be better to just pay a little more to get a full-featured laptop.

But the netbook still has a following - there will always be folks who want something super small and light and will last longer than a laptop on battery power.

3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

netbook has shown us why PC will not die. 30 million shipment, and what has it done to the pc segment? ultraportable has gotten more affortable and faster!

I believe tablet shipment in 2010 is not even half of 30 mil. Sorry steve jobs, we aren't in post pc era yet.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The problem with netbook is, it got too big (10"), and it's still very slow. Just spend a bit more and get an ultraportable like X220. Fantastic! Don't ask about the price though. :haha:

5. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Ultraportables are just too expensive for what they do. If I want something small and light, I would just get a netbook.

Actually, netbooks aren't very slow. Mine is, because it's stuck with a slow Intel SSD, but those based on faster SSDs or HDDs are actually pretty fast.

The original Atom processor is about as fast as the Pentium M, so it's really not that slow. If you can top up to at least 2 GB of RAM, it's really more than good enough for many folks. :thumb:

With that said, I would prefer to pay a little extra and go for a 14" notebook. The performance increase is tremendous, especially since we can upgrade to 4 GB or 8 GB of RAM.

6. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Desktop without a doubt. I'm working with land maps and doing CAD and I need a lot of screen space, space I can't get on a laptop.

7. Chai

I always love ultra portable. They are powerful and portable. I don't have to sacrifice too much. Ultra portable are not necessarily expensive, just don't look at X220. :lol:

Pentium M is actually faster than Atom, clock per clock. So Atom is really quite slow.

8. gamerkidz

gamerkidz Newbie

Desktop have better cooling, more flexible to upgrade means more fan added into it, compare to laptop, only cooling pad as external cooling

9. Adrian Wong

That was the original single-core Atom. They now have dual-core Atoms. :thumb:

The advantage of Atoms isn't really that they are almost as fast as the Pentium M. It's really their ability to use much less power than traditional mobile processors.

10. Adrian Wong

Talking about cooling.. the biggest problem with laptops is that their effective lifespan is limited by the lifespan of their cooling fan.

My old BenQ notebook is still running but its fan just died... so the entire notebook gets SUPER HOT and the CPU is always being throttled. :wall: :wall:

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Desktops whenever possible (faster, easier to upgrade, easier to cool, easier to repair), notebooks whenever portability is needed. :mrgreen:

12. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Definitely not "a bit more". :roll: I like what AMD has done to the ultraportable scene with the Fusion processors. Better than Atom and significantly lower priced than the likes of the X220. Hopefully the next generation low end Fusion available next year will really up the stakes. Not a lot of information about them except that there will be a 4 core version, which is cool. A minor refresh is expected this year, too, and that could be a little faster.

13. Chai

You can get affordable ultraportable. X220 is a pure workhorse so it is going to be expensive. My statement is a bad example.

X120e is a Fusion based ultraportable. I'm not sure what range are you looking at, but I were to buy one, I want something which is more powerful, something Core 2 Duo based or faster.

14. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I bought an X120e earlier this month, but it's waiting for me in the US to be brought here, which will probably happen only in late May.

Since I use my desktop most of the time, I don't need an ultraportable to be a real workhorse. I still want it to be able to run some games (don't need the latest or high settings), VM's, Visual Studio, ... The X120e should be good enough for that.

I was disppointed with the Fusion CPU's initially, since I was hoping they'd be faster, but I decided they do represent decent performance for money, and they're more usable than the Atom.

15. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I expected Fusion CPUs to be faster too, but if they get some solid design wins at affordable prices, they could pose a respectable challenge to the Atom.

16. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

The E-350 already has some pretty nice design wins at the 11.6" ultraportable form factor, the Thinkpad X120e being one. I was surprised that it also got some design wins at 15.6". The C-50 doesn't seem to have as much success, with the Acer 522 being the most notable design win (for the 720p screen). Almost got that one, but I think that I'll enjoy the X120e better.

Still, AMD did up the stakes in what was a market that went nowhere, and hopefully the next gen will make things even better at the small form factors.

17. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... the voting doesn't work for me... both desktop and laptops are my primary... one at home and one at work. :D

18. Paton44

Paton44 Banned

Go for PC now as repairing or upgrading a PC ia easy and cheaper than a laptop.Graphics card for Rs.3000 you would get a NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 it the best budget card.If you do MBA in INDIA whichever Institute you get into it will charge you the education fee along with the laptop charges so they will provide you a laptop.Laptop will not allow you to use your Computer for longer hours for battery issues.Laptop very quickly gets back dated and cost of upgrading would be equal to buy a new one so leading to higher expenditure whereas a PC is easily upgradable by changing the RAM that is increasing it,increasing hard drive or upgrading your graphics card. With laptop you are stuck with whatever the manufacturer builds just like a mobile you only have a certain hardware.For Rs.2500 you will get a good PC.
    Configuration is as follows: -
    1.Intel core 2 Duo dual core processor.
    2.Intel Classic series motherboard ,get the motherboard which matches the processor socket.
    3.2GB DDR3 RAM.
    4.500 GB HARD DRIVE.
    5.LG 16 INCH MONITOR.
    6.FRONTECH CABINET WITH POWER SUPPLY.Graphics card already mentioned.

19. Desktop all the way. Laptops stink!

20. EhJude

EhJude Newbie

Love my macbook :) I use it for most everything at home and have it hooked up to a nice 28 inch monitor. I use a desktop for gaming though.