snatch thief in action

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PowerSlide, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, I'm not sure if my car has laminated windows. I'm pretty sure it is at least tempered glass... but it didn't shatter into small pieces when a thief broke into my car by hitting the window with a sharp object.

The entire window shattered but remained in one piece. So I think mine probably had security film. It didn't prevent the thief from yanking out the window and gaining access to the car though. The good news was - there was absolutely nothing in my car to steal. The bad news? I had to get the window replaced. :wall: :wall:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Hmm, the side window? Is your car tinted? :think:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Usually laminated glass for the front windscreen only, unless you own an expensive car. If it doesn't shatter like the video, then most likely it was the tinted film.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe it's about others who are attempting to rescue you, hmm, good suggestion :thumb:

5. Chai

But having the security film is far more important IMO, since our crime rate is getting worse, despite what the government is telling you.

Accidents that require you to break the glass to free yourself from the car, meaning the door can't be opened because the chassis is bent and the glass may have already been broken. You are going to be badly injured because the front of the car is already crumpled up to the interior of the car. I wouldn't want to rescue someone in such serious conditions, unless you are a doctor or trained.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yeah. Everyone should get a security film installed on your car windows here in M'sia. Just way too dangerous without it these days.

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I think it was tinted. Yeah, now that I think about it, yeah, it was tinted.

8. Adrian Wong

Actually, even if you have security film installed, people can still break your window. It just doesn't shatter to bits and injure you.

In the case of an accident, anyone can take a spanner to the window. It will take a little longer than usual, but I don't think they will have a problem getting you out. The only iffy part is that it takes more time - if your car is on fire, that's going to be quite a hairy experience! :D

9. Adrian Wong

I wish it was legal to install flamethrowers at the side.... :haha: :haha:

When one of these snatch thieves break your window, slam the button and whooosh! Burn, baby, burn! :haha: :haha:

Okay, that sounds rather evil.. :evil: but sigh, the fact of the matter is these snatch thieves have killed so many people. We just cannot rely on the police to catch them. Heck, some of them have been found to be off-duty policemen themselves!!! :wall:

10. Chai

I love that idea very much! :thumb:

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I remembered watching something about this on documentary TV, such thing do exist, and it's legal in certain states in US if I'm not mistaken, and btw the flame used in those installations are a little different in a way that they don't really 'burn' the person, no idea how to describe, but will see if I can find the link.

I recalled that it's activated by stepping on a smaller pedal at the left hand side.

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I heard of that, but there's one in the South Africa. :whistle:

13. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I know it exists somewhere.. I just don't think it's legal to install something like this in most countries.

But I'm seriously considering installing a video camera in the car... I wonder how much that would cost...

14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Maybe if you have some old phones with a decent camera which can record at VGA resolution, you can mount it there permanently for video recording purpose LOL

15. Chai

LOL! Adrian has mentioned before he wants a proper video recorder.

16. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

You all don't see what's going to happen? If you set up a phone to do video recording, someone is going to break into your car to steal the phone :haha:

Which also leaves room for other ideas like putting some bait with a nasty surprise for whoever steals it. I'm heading to Europe soon and mulling over the idea of a decoy wallet :p

Anyway I found the flamethrower video, I remember seeing it on TV too

18. Chai

Wow! That's super cool idea! :haha: But it doesn't stop the snatch thieves though.

19. Adrian Wong

It won't stop them, but if they break your window, you can hit the panic button/pedal and scare them away. Heck, it would probably make them fall off their bike!

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Can't agree more... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave: :wave: :wave: