Should i get new PC?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jet, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Jet

Jet Just Started

Finally my 6-year-old cpu has died. RIP.. :( It died before i got my new LCD monitor..

Now i'm wondering whether to get a brand new desktop or not. Right now i have a hp elitebook 8440p and a netbook. I still love using desktop the most but i think it might be a waste buying new desktop considering i already got 2 mobile PCs. On the other hand, buying new desktop wont be really expensive as i don't really need a high end desktop..:think:

what do you think? buy new PC or use current laptop? :D

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

After six years, you deserve an upgrade!!!:) Go for it!!!:thumb:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Go get a desktop! It's really not that expensive. :thumb:

You don't have to spend a ton of money on the latest hardware. Even "previous generation" Intel Core processor or cheap AMD Phenom IIs will do.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Newer generation desktops are very good nowadays. If you are not gaming, get a simple, lower end one. :mrgreen:

5. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

Of course you should get a new desktop. :) I don't think you really need one, since the elitebook 8440p is a pretty powerful PC, but it's always fun to get a new PC.

But since it looks like you have everything you need that would be just for fun, so you can wait some more to see what AMD's Llano and Bulldozer can do, and you can consider options of forms (mini-ITX HTPC, micro, tower...). Planning is half the fun.

On a more down to earth note, what would you do with the desktop PC? What did you do with your previous one? You have a powerful laptop, so where would a (possibly weaker) desktop fit in?

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

You should ask yourself, why do you need one in the first place? :lol:

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

ouch..that hurts

since you are in dilemma now just as ET3D suggest wait awhile for bulldozer to out and decide

8. Jet

Jet Just Started

Wow.. that's nice to hear.. I just need to buy a processor, mobo and ram probably. The internal gpu should be sufficient to support my needs. My only requirement is that it must be able to play 1080p movie. Even my old pc can do that. :mrgreen:

Desktop is a luxury rather than necessity. I don't really need desktop but I just don't like to use laptop. Hate the small and fragile keyboard plus small screen.

9. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

In that case just hook the laptop to a keyboard and screen and you've got yourself a fully usable machine.

How practical this is depends on how often you go mobile and have to hook and unhook the keyboard and monitor. It could end up a bit of a nuisance. Although really this shouldn't be that much trouble.

10. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

Get a docking station for the 8440p and hook it up like a desktop? :mrgreen:

11. zy

This is what one of my professor is doing. He has a 24" monitor and keyboard attached to his docking station.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Fragile keyboard? :shock: :faint:

What exactly do you do on keyboards? :shock: (well maybe I don't want to know... :whistle: )

You can certainly do a docking station (that is hooked up to monitors, keyboard and mouse). I tend to prefer a seperate machine rather than docking. So flip a coin (or decide what you want - what would satisfy your needs. Desktops aren't too expensive). :mrgreen:

13. zy

:shock: I've seen some of my friend's keyboard falling apart (keys missing, out of place, etc) :eh: Actually, I have no idea what do they do to it :nuts: Play games?? Smash it in frustration?

14. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

My toddler daughter managed to remove the space bar from my wife's laptop. Took a bit of work to get it back, and it doesn't work as well now.

15. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Some of the laptop keyboard can be very flimsy. My close friend's Compaq had some of the keys popped out (for no strange reason) and had to reattach it manually. Fortunately, my laptop keyboard is still ok as I press these keys gently. :D

16. Jet

Jet Just Started

Docking station is not really a good idea for me.. If i do that i will have to look at my work folder at home too. Furthermore i still got couple of good hard disk on my old desktop that i wan to to reuse..

i didnt do anything to the keyboard.. :oops: It really feels fragile to me. still prefer the old style logitech keyboard..:thumb:

i think i will get myself a desktop. :mrgreen: just need to buy a mobo, cpu, ram and a monitor i think.. :mrgreen:

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

what about ipad2

follow the trend :whistle: :mrgreen:

18. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I actually do that. I hook my notebook up to my 20" Dell monitor, a keyboard and a mouse and that's it... I have a "desktop" PC that I can dismantle in 5 minutes and take away (without the monitor and keyboard, of course!)

19. ET3D

ET3D Newbie

I've been doing work on my home PC for years and never had that problem. :) You don't really have to look at it if you don't want to.

It sounds like you made up your mind to get a desktop PC. So you can discuss what your needs are, and decide on something which suits them.

20. Jet

Jet Just Started

Thread revived. :D sry for absent coz being quite busy with work. :faint: There are so many things i wanna buy but wallet is too thin.. :lol: :oops: Anyway i got my bonus already so i better do this fast before the money is gone.

I would only upgrade its motherboard, cpu, ram and probably graphic card.
    not sure about graphic card as i only want my pc to be able to play 1080p movie. that's all.

can anyone recommend me the above items? budget is around RM700. Fonna fork out a few hundred for brand new LCD monitor and external hard disk as well.

Thanks for the help!:D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011