[WTA] trex auto lock

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jet, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jet

Jet Just Started

Hi guys,

i just bought a trex auto lock from Home-Fix at 1 Utama for Rm130. It is actually a pedal lock where u put it onto the brake and you cannot step on the brake pedal anymore.

The key that comes with the auto lock is not what i have expected. It somehow looks unsecured and i think it might be easily being picked.

Can any forumer tell me whether the key is picked-proofed? I attach an image of the key for reference. Thanks for the help. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I'm no locksmith, but that key doesn't look all that secure. I could be wrong though. It's definitely not the usual pin tumbler lock.

3. Jet

Jet Just Started

Hi Adrian. I'm afraid i might have bought imitation products.:?

4. Adrian Wong

Well, it's not necessary imitation. It's probably just a poor lock. However, most bicycle locks I've seen are rather lousy...

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Cheap bicycle locks could be easily cut too... the most scary fact.

The most tough way to lock it up is by using a chain, a metal one.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's why I never bother buying those locks.

7. Adrian Wong

Well, a lousy lock is better than no lock! :D

8. Jet

Jet Just Started

wow. You never had any extra lock?

ya that's true. And pedal lock looks much secure than normal steering lock.

9. Chai

It's not going to stop car thieves for sure. If they can bypass the alarm system and immobiliser, what can the fragile lock do?

I have one in my car, for self defense purposes. :haha:

10. The_YongGrand

A sturdy steering lock would give the thieves too much time to break it. They would be discouraged at the first sight.

One of my mother's friend's Avanza was stolen - the whole fingerprint security system was defeated and they went away with the car. Police tracked it, but they were driving really fast enough and disappeared. And, the friend of hers didn't lock the steering. :faint:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Locks can be picked. I don't really believe in steering locks (apart from the usage that Chai mentioned). :)

If they can bypass an alarm and imobilizer, what can a dinky lock do? (the other two systems are far more complex). Nothing a lock pick set or a big pair of bolt cutters won't make short work of. And if I remember, theives there aren't exactly "timid" either...

12. The_YongGrand

I don't know much about picking the locks, but it seems that it's pretty much difficult thing to do. Either they would had to cut it which is really cumbersome and noisy.

Defeating electronic car security systems will be much easier for them due to the expereince in those kind of stuff. They did learn those maybe from their previous career which would be installation and deployment of those systems. :faint:

And of course, the steering lock will be always at my side when I drive. I placed them on the passenger seat if no one's sitting. Mainly, self-defense purpose too. :mrgreen:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

By your same analogy, they could have been locksmiths as well. With lock pick kits/tools, they are way fast. I've seen locksmiths open cars (when friends locked themselves out). I've seen them either pick the locks out right, or use a wedge, inflatable rubber pads and a long wire/bar to unlock the door (without even bothering with the keyhole).

An electronic key/ignition/imobilizer is as safe as I'd ever think it'd be (and to not park in shady areas).

14. The_YongGrand

Yeah, and I forgot about these former locksmiths too. No cars can be ever safe from thieves, they seem to outsmart every car security available.

I guess those expensive cars must have immobilizers installed and it should be mandatory.

15. Chai

PsYkHoTiK has said it all. Steering lock is as useful as adding weight in your car, eating up more fuel in the long run. Many cars have immobilizers, but like you have said, they are pretty easy to defeat. That's why I won't bother additional steps to protect my car. If yours is targeted, that's your luck, really.

Just look at those cars that the police usually recover back, they are luxury cars.

16. Adrian Wong

I don't use any additional locks for my car. My car already comes with an immobilizer and alarm system. That should be more than good enough really. Steering and pedal locks are actually pretty easy to defeat.

That said, if given a choice between two similar cars and one has an additional lock, the thief will choose the car without the additional lock. :haha:

The "best defence" is to buy a car that's not so "hot" on the car thieves' list but that may not be realistic in many cases. So best thing now is to park in safe places - e.g. secured parking facilities.