How to connect a printer to serve 2 computers via a router?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by MSwhip, May 12, 2011.

1. MSwhip

MSwhip Newbie

I have a SMC Gateway Router and 2 computers connected to it with RJ-45 cable. They are (1 iMac + 1 PC) 150 feet apart both computers are wired to the router.
    I also have a Canon Pixma MP 560 Multifunction Inkjet printer that has the capability to be connected both wired and wireless. Right now it is only connected to the iMac via a USB connection as all 3 (router, iMac and printer) are on the same workstation.

I would appreciate a detailed explanation as to how to connect the printer so it could also support the 2nd computer a Windows PC which is located on the floor below. Can I do that through the wired router too?
    If not possible, I also have the capability to connect wirelessly although I would prefer to use the wired connnections.
    The PC has a Belkin USB 2.0 Network Adapter for wireless connection; both SMC Router and Belkin USB adapter are 902.11 N capable

I would appreciate receiving help preferably detailed and in layman terms as I am not too versed on these tech issues.

Thank you kindly

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You need to configure on the printer to enable LAN connectivity. There are some basic things to configure, like hostname, IP address etc.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I too a quick look at the specifications of your printer.

I does have wireless, but it does NOT have a LAN port?

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

If connect via LAN, just plug the printer into the LAN port and run the bundled Canon software, it will detect the printer and install it.

If via Wireless, read the manual, you should be able to use the printer settings to configure the wireless AP to join, and then as usual, install the bundled software.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Crap, totally forgot about DHCP. :haha: Thanks for correcting the mistake.