Kia / Naza Forte

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha.. The market trend seems to be going automatic transmission all the way, although the higher-end cars will have some kind of shiftronic ability.

BTW, I think the newer auto transmissions now have lock-up torque converters which makes them almost as efficient as manual transmissions.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think DSG will take over both auto and manual box, as demonstrated by VAG, Fiesta, Nissan GTR and Ferrari F458. It needs more refinement, but definitely the future of motoring.

3. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. But surely not for most cars, at least not in the near future. It's just too costly.

4. Chai

If they can implement this on a Fiesta, I don't think it will be that far.

5. Adrian Wong

Is it in the Malaysian version? I don't think so, right?

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah DSG/DCT is definitely the way of the future IMO. VAG has been pushing hard on it and it's being offered all the way down to lower mid market offerings already (this includes Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat, and though "separate", Porsche has had the PDK for a while). The Ford Focus is a "cheap" car here. The DSG model starts at 20k.... The Ford Fiesta is a very cheap car here. 15k for the DSG model (aka "Powershift transmission" - built by Getrag). Neither are "expensive" cars by any means.

Whether it is available in Malaysia, hard to say. It is a very small market (and some internals are 1-2 generations old to keep prices down on some cars). But I would be surprised if it wasn't available (come on - its 15K here - the price of a Corolla which is Toyota's second lowest model here). :)

DSG/DCT is different as opposed to shifttronic in which there is not torque converter at all. Shiftronic is essentially a manual shift capable automatic slushbox transmission. DSG/DCTs are mechanically manual gearboxes (utilizing 2 clutch packs - one for odd numbered gears and one for even) with an electronically controlled clutch and electronically controlled shifts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  7. Chai

No, it's available here. This is why Fiesta is so popular. When I saw the specs of Fiesta before it was officially launched here, I was pretty surprised. Although it is DSG, you don't get to manually select them. But it still offers faster gearshifts then manual, and pretty much seamless gearshifts especially at high speeds.

VW Golf is the cheapest selectable DSG car you can buy here.

Lock-up torque converters is nothing new actually.

8. Adrian Wong

Oh, you are right. It has DSG. They just call it the Powershift transmission. It's definitely a very nice small car. If I'm looking for a second car, I would definitely consider the Ford Fiesta.

Yeah, lock-up torque converters are not new, but not all automatic transmission cars have them, at least not in Malaysia.

9. Chai

Are you sure about that? I would like to know which car doesn't have that.

Anyway, DSG has minimal power lost compare to auto, hence it is more efficient, and most of the time, also faster.

10. Adrian Wong

I don't think my old Sonata EF (2002) has the lock-up converter. But if you are talking about new cars, of course, all of them should have lock-up converters.

Yeah, it would be almost as efficient as manual transmissions.