Iphone 5

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by belikethat, Oct 9, 2011.

1. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

sorry i meant Iphone 4S :wall:

US outright iPhone 4S pricing revealed and likely Malaysian pricing | SoyaCincau

Since there is no thread i guess i start it first. What you guys think about it. I did stay up until 2.30amrefreshing like an idiot hoping for the Iphone 4S + Iphone 5. Rumours saying that 4S will be a budget version of the current 4. Heck is's apple . they will never do such thing. Silly me

As for the Real 4S, i think there nothing really NEW except for so called better camera. And it's still expensive, would rather get a Samsung Galaxy 2. oh well

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Better camera, dual core CPU, maybe more RAM. That's about it in terms of hardware difference. Similar to iPhone3G to 3GS. No surprises to be honest.

iPhone 4 was a big leap in terms of hardware, it is actually the only iPhone that I was really impressed. High res display, the slim profile (although I still don't like it for ergonomic reasons), relatively fast processor. I think most people are just expecting too much.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Some "analysts" actually said that the negative perception wouldn't be so bad had Apple called it the Apple iPhone 5. IMHO, that's stupid.

1. It's mostly an internal upgrade, with a "new" software feature - Siri. I rate it as a "minor" S upgrade (e.g. 3G -> 3GS), rather than a "full" upgrade to iPhone 5.

2. Calling it an iPhone 5 wouldn't fool any iPhone user. They will either buy it anyway, or they will not bother to upgrade this time. Certainly, it won't be because Apple called it iPhone 4S instead of iPhone 5.

IMHO, those who are using iPhone 4 do not "need" to upgrade to the iPhone 4S. The internal upgrades are nice, but not great enough to make breaking any contract worth the cost. It would be a really nice upgrade for older iPhone users though.

Me, I will probably upgrade to the iPhone 4GS, but mainly because the stupid Home button on my iPhone 3GS is barely responsive now!

4. Chai

4GS? Do you mean 4S?

They should really consider capacitive Home button like the Android phones.

5. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Apple's iPhone 4S breaks early order record-
    Orders for the latest iPhone, the last product the company introduced before the death of its co-founder Steve Jobs, surpassed 1 million in the first 24 hours, beating Apple's previous one-day record of 600,000 sales for the iPhone 4, according to Apple.

Apple's iPhone 4S breaks early order record | Reuters

6. Chai

I guess this is the reason for the record.

But despite that, 1 million in the first 24 hours is a crazy record which no other manufacturer can match in the near future.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yup, especially in US when they open to 3 service provider instead of 1.

8. Adrian Wong

HAHAHA!!! So used to typing GS.. What a typo. :lol:

Yes, I think so too. But it could also be a designed flaw - to get iPhone users to upgrade every 1-2 years. Probably why they are still not switching to a capacitive Home button.

9. Adrian Wong

I'll bet Steve Jobs must be smiling... :)

I agree with Chai. This is partly due to the wider availability of the iPhone 4S. Also, while pundits may call it a disappointment, it's actually a pretty decent upgrade. Still slow, compared to the rest of the industry, but relatively expected for Apple.

Anyway, there are many Apple iPhone users like me, just waiting to upgrade because of the stupid Home button which is barely functioning now.

Yes, it's irritating to hear me say this all the time, but say it, I must because Apple fans just cannot bear to hear anything bad about their "precioussss"... and I hope that someone in Apple will stumble upon my incessant harping on the Home button and finally do something about it!

10. Chai

Well, look at the design of first iPhone till iPhone 4. Nothing has changed on the front, the screen size remained, the home button is still basically the same.

Maybe they are trying to maintain the iPhone 'image'?

11. Adrian Wong

Well, they are definitely trying to keep the format restricted for the app developers. Now, they only have like 3 different resolutions to deal with, but only one ratio, so it's easy to scale.

As for the Home button, I suppose it has tactile feedback as opposed to a capacitive touch button. Still, I think they should fix this "flaw" as it realistically limits the useability of the iPhone to just 1-2 years.

12. Chai

No, not really. They can always keep them at the same resolution, but make the screen bigger. That is what many people were expecting from "iPhone 5".

Look at Android phones, there's basically only 2 standard resolution to deal with, 480x320 and 800x480. There are some odd resolution like 960x540 though. But my point is, the screen size vary from 3.2" up to even 5" to cater the market needs.

I don't believe tactile feedback is the reason at all. iPhone was one of the first phone to revolutionalise on screen controls, and still is the benchmark in terms of onscreen navigation. So why not change the home button as well?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I believe they keep it as tactile because they home key + power buttons is needed for recovery mode.

14. Chai

Well, they can always use other buttons like volume.

15. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

wait for iphone 6 :lol:

16. Adrian Wong

Oh, they can do that, and I think they will do that for iPhone 5 (not iPhone 4S). If I were Apple, I wouldn't change the screen size for the iPhone 4S either, because that would involve costs and logistical issues. With the same screen size, they can count on the same supply of LCD panel, Gorilla Glass, aluminium case, etc. Yes, and the same Home button too!

17. Adrian Wong

I honestly don't mind if they keep the same old tactile Home button. All I ask is that the Home button remains usable for more than a year or two! :wall:

18. Chai

Like it or not, mechanical buttons have lifespan, especially when there's only 1 like iPhone and there's no alternative!

I always prefer mechanical buttons as well, but it will not last forever.

19. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Trin still dun have cell phone.:p

It's better to be 'out of touch'.;)

20. Adrian Wong

Very true. But 1-2 years?? That's really too short. :think: