LCD-TV, or LED-TV?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 17, 2011.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey,

Been thinking of changing the old CRT when we moved homes. So, I noticed that the LED-TVs are much brighter and/or clearer than the LCD counterparts. Is it true, or both of them are equally good? :)

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That is definitely not true.

Most of the LED TV in the market are edge lit LED TV. The only real advantage of LED TV is the thinner profile because they use edge lit LED instead of CCFL. Of course, it consume less power which is also an advantage. But the black is terrible.

The only good LED TV are the backlit RGB-LED TV.

http://forums.techarp.com/lounge/79...ing-corner-510.html#post365717?postcount=5092

This is mine, and as you can see, in my situation, I can truly benefit the slimmer profile and lower heat as I sit right behind it! Most people don't really need slim profile. If it was for my living room, I will definitely not consider edge lit LED TV.

3. The_YongGrand

The TV's impressive. How much you bought it?

By the way, I just need a generic, decent flat panel. Just enough to watch the pictures. Nothing too sophisicated. :)

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you don't need a thin profile, you can save some money by going for LCD. I would go for LED only if it's backlit LED, like Chai mentioned.

BTW, if you don't intend to pair the TV with an amp and external speakers, I would recommend looking at the Toshiba Regza series as they offer very good audio out of the box. Samsung makes good LCD TVs too but their built-in speakers are really weak, compared to Toshiba Regza LCD TVs.

5. Chai

Mine is a 3D TV, but it's a low end one. I bought it for RM2700. It's the smallest 32" TV I could find.

6. The_YongGrand

So I can actually buy any of the Toshiba Regza, or the LCD TVs from Carrefour? Carrefour's selling many of the new branded LCD TVs at a lower price, so I will try buying the normal ones.

I believe these have an HDMI port at least - I can plug in an Xbox or PS3 if we bought it? :)

7. Chai

Well, my recommendation is, survey for the TV yourself. We have different priorities, like myself, sound system was not an issue for me, as long as I can hear it. Usually LED TV have crappy speakers because they don't have a lot of space for beefier setups.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Why do you want to buy from Carrefour? Or even Sen Heng and all those branded shops, for that matter?

I usually check the smaller electrical stores because they can often offer a much better price. Try Toong Heng, or D'Legend.

9. Chai

It depends. They might have better offer because they purchase in bulk. They also have better selections.

10. The_YongGrand

No worries. I was just saying an example. I would try small and familiar electric/electronics store (I know some shopkeepers there) nearby and find a good deal.

Actually, I still have an old 29" Wega. If I have to purchase the 29" LCD, is that screen bigger than the old CRT? Because the 29" CRT has only like 25" or something viewable screen size. :)

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hmm, why not go for a Plasma, picture quality and colour reproduction is quite superior and not to mention, cheaper than LCD.

12. Chai

It is bigger, and hotter than LCD. But it is cheaper if you want a big screen.

13. The_YongGrand

Hmm. That's a great idea but my outside living room shelf can only accomodate up to 30" screens.

I'll invest in a simple LED-TV in the future. Not sure how I could sell off the old CRT... :faint:

14. Chai

Sell? You might be able to trade in for parts, or just send it to recycling center. :haha:

15. The_YongGrand

I would just dispose it, but it's still working. Hard to get rid of it sometimes. :haha:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah I was thinking of either dumpster (*cough* recycling center) or post it for free (aka let someone else take your trash - hey it works sometimes :p ). I do love it when people post CRTs for "sale". Hilarious.

17. The_YongGrand

Technology is too fast nowadays. :haha: Feels sayang (can't feel to part with it) to dump it since it's still working (the remote receiver in the TV is a bit busted). My pa bought the 29" Sony Wega for like rm2.5k back in 2000, and now it looks like it's 800 years old.:haha:

Off topic: I remembered the early tablets are rm6k and uses Windows mobile. And have a 400mhz processor inside. Look at tablets now, seems that every household has one already. :haha:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You would have to pay me to take a CRT. I gave mine away when someone came by to buy an old mobo and graphics card off of me. It was sitting in the garage. Someone to take my trash away for me for free - AWESOME! Even gave him a power cable too LOL!

Again CRT for sale ads = funnies. :p

19. The_YongGrand

Hmm, actually I attempted to pay the computer technician to remove the Sony Vaio screen, but I failed. He refused the offer. :haha:

If I happened to come over your place one snowy morning and thought of buying your old computer, would you give one to me for free? (just kidding on that, I would pay a small fee on that old stuff) :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I would actually have to pay someone to remove the 40kg CRT for me if I get the LCD/LED TV. This thing is damn heavy for sure. :whistle:

20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It depends on how old of a computer... I have a AMD FX-55 (socket 939) that's due to be phased out soon (it's serving as my home server right now)... :p

LOL but if you flew stateside, I'd at least offer you the guest room to spend a night or two... :beer: