2nd ADSL wireless modem used as amplifier?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by ariyamusafir, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Lets say I hyave 2 modem router. Can I use one to link to the internet and the other station at another location to act as a router?

If yes how to link the 2 wirelessly?

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I'm guessing you want to extend your network.

Your second router needs to be a client bridge. Not all routers supports this features...

Here's my network setup.

Main Wireless Router connected to CableModem/Internet

2nd Wireless Router (running DDWRT) connects to Main Wireless Router (via Wireless) and the 4 ports behind are connected to my PC & printer.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not sure if your router can do it wirelessly, but you can definitely do it using a LAN cable.

Just connect the two routers using a LAN cable and disable the DHCP server on the router you want to use as a wireless access point.

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: actually, I want to place one on ground floor and one on first floor..... My main internet is TP link and my scondary is my old Linksys WAD54G. Hmm... can you teach me how or what can bedone to disable the DCHP? What other possible settings that I need to know?

1 additional question, assume that I have only one modem and one router (non-modem), Router is N type and modem is only G-type.... Will I be able to enjoy the benefit of the N type modem???

Thanks.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

To fully utilise N, all your devices at home must be using N. If one device is using G, the router will fallback to G speed. So one of the advantage of dual radio wifi router is you can setup 1 radio for G connectivity and another radio for N connectivity.

Even if all the devices are N capable, you are not guaranteed to get 300Mbps. LAN cable is usually faster and more consistent, even if it's just 100Mbps.

6. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Supplementary Question:

1. Wifi Modem - G, Router - N, Network cards and USB device - N, Speed of network still N?

2. Normal Cable only 100 Mbps, N wireless can up to 300Mbps, and assume effective 200 Mbps, its still faster right?

7. Chai

It is almost impossible to reach 300Mbps on wireless N, even if both devices are side by side. I've tried that myself. I also used to run USB G, I was frustrated by the speed inconsistency, and frequent drop. I had enough with the pain, so I decided to install CAT6 cable over the ceiling myself (not an easy work). But the benefits are "endless".

But with 100Mbps LAN, you are almost certain to achieve 100Mbps at 99% of the time. That is why my main PC is running on 1000Mbps, bottleneck is at the internet speed. Home network is always connected, and very fast.

If you disable the Wifi modem - G, shouldn't be a problem.

8. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Thanks, but I do not understand the reference of your last sentence.

9. Chai

Sorry, I read from bottom to top. :lol:

10. Adrian Wong

Nothing beats LAN, if you can live with the cabling. It's far more reliable and you can actually achieve close to the rated speed. With wireless devices, it greatly depends on the quality of the router and connecting devices.

The best I've ever gotten with a Wireless-N device is 150 Mbps... but that's just the "connected speed", not the actual transfer rate.

11. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

but.. wireless technology is getting better and better right? I got myself a network card (not the modem) that cost me RM 180, and it is detecting signal way far. My parents laptop signal is only say good, mine is excellent with signal detection of 100%. Emitting at 135mbps and receiving at 162 mbps. So, the question now is that would this be better than the Normal LAN.... If course cannot compare to the LAN Chai is using.....

12. Adrian Wong

Getting better, but it all depends on the quality of the wireless card and the wireless router, as well as anything in between them. I have a new Dell WiFi-N card but it's so shitty even an older WiFi-G card works better. So newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

The connection rate is not a guarantee of bandwidth. Try copying a file over your WiFi-N network using your 162 Mbps connection and copy the same file using 100 Mbps LAN. You will see that LAN transfers faster even with the "lower" speed. Just because your WiFi-N card can connect at 162 mbps doesn't mean it transfers at 162 Mbps.

13. zy

Wireless networks has a lot of overhead.

Wireless network is broadcasting "openly" where other devices can see this network, so alot of the bandwidth used is actually for communication purpose between devices and re transmission. Interference etc etc etc.

Think of wireless network is a room filled with 10 people that are not allowed to move.
    Person #1 wants to tell person #10 something, person #1 shouts "Person #10, i am telling you something". But will person #10 hear all the words if the room is too noisy? =p

Now think of wired network like a telephone line directly between person #1 and person #10. person #1 just says "i am telling you something" to person #10 =p

14. Chai

And having wireless encryption protocol enabled will further reduce the effective bandwidth unless you are feeling generous.

15. Adrian Wong

Speaking of wireless encryption, I found that the older, less secure WEP actually uses (wastes) more bandwidth than the newer and better WPA2! So if your router supports it, go WPA2!

Not only will you get better wireless security, you will also enjoy better throughput.

16. Chai

That I didn't know. I always thought WPA2 is worse.

17. Adrian Wong

I thought so too.. so I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was much better than WEP. That's why I never looked back to WEP from then on. :D

18. zy

No idea. I only know I need WPA2 to achieve wireless-n speed.

If I use WEP, i think i'm connected to wireless-n at 54mbps