Headlight bulbs recommendation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Lacus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Thinking of changing my current headlight to something brighter and white but not too bright for others (as in non xenon type). Was looking @ the Philip Xtreme power series. Or does anyone got better recommendation?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Interesting. Sounds like a good replacement for the stock bulbs :)

4. Chai

Only applicable to non HID lights. But you wouldn't complain if you have hid...

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Ok, but then would it be too bright for on coming cars or anything? i don't wanna go for HID lights and don't wanna get into trouble :haha:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

One way to avoid glare for opposing traffic is to adjust the direction of the lamps to avoid shining towards opposing traffic. The best would be to shine towards the left (for right hand drives) and downwards.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

HIDs must have auto levelers. Driver's side shines a little lower too (so it doesn't tag on coming drivers). HID's in housings/reflectors that weren't meant for them are a no no (glare-o-rama).

8. Chai

Forget about converting them to HID. Either get a better car, or just buy a higher lumen lightbulbs. You will see some improvement, but not night and day.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Thats why i'm looking for higher lumen lightbulbs (new to the car world , my first car :D) Well it's just for night will do :).

10. Chai

There are many types of bulbs, H1, H4, H7 etc. Make sure you get the right one for your car.

I wouldn't worry too much about the light bulbs unless you drive at night a lot. They have shorter lifespan too. Mine died after 4 years of minimal night driving.

11. Adrian Wong

Just make sure you don't touch the glass surface of the lights when you install them. Oil from your fingers will cause them to fail prematurely.

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Mine's H4, and apparently a friend of mine told me those Philip X-treme Vision is as bright as those HID lights. Any place where can i check it out before buying? :confused:

13. Chai

Sorry to say, they are definitely not as bright. If they are, why bother using HID.

I have the older Xtreme Power, while they are slightly brighter than stock, but don't expect miracles.

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Yup, nothing beats HID.

I have HID :shifty: but it still cant beat genuine HID setups.

15. Adrian Wong

Brighter than HID? No way... Wish it were true though.. as HID is very expensive.

16. Adrian Wong

Really? I didn't know there's a difference between third-party and factory HID installations.

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Depends on the quality of the part itself.

Factory and high-quality aftermarket projector lenses makes a difference. The light itself, not so much. More of the lens design.

18. Chai

The lens, housing etc makes a lot of difference. The beam pattern is very important which 3rd party can't guarantee, especially they are not designed to fit on a particular car.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm now to change or not to change, that is the question >_<..

20. Chai

Don't bother, unless you are struggling to drive at night, or you drive in unlit areas a lot.